So... *Poke*

Seems like things have been quiet lately. Any news?

Comments

• Yeah, we're going to stream today, I think. Last week we didn't because there wasn't anything visibly new to show - all the new stuff was too behind-the-scenes and wasn't put together to where it was presentable.

Gavan's been working on pathfinding lately, but I think he's working on something different this week.
  • edited October 2015
    Update: Gavan didn't sleep well last night and he has a few more bugs to iron out, but we will be aiming for this Sunday at 2 PM PST. Given what I've seen so far of it today, much pretty shall be had - and possibly some talk about gameplay.

A little taste of what he's managed to accomplish:

Sixteen kilometers with minimal impact on framerate. :) Finally got all that sorted. Japa should be pleased. (as will a lot of other people, I hope)
  • Oh sweetness, nice.

Funny sky color, though.
  • Also sadness, because the stream is 2:30 am, monday morning.
  • You could watch the recording on Twitch sometime later, Japa. I know, it's not the same...
  • @PTTG : As Talvieno already said, Gavan is hard at work. We have an internal date for our Early Access and we really try to stick to it. The pace is tough, but so far Gavan is more or less keeping the timeline.
  • Nice, nice, nice. The rocks are nice and jagged, and the snow looks so... snowy! It's becoming a convincing landscape.
    The side of the mountain is kind of chunky though, almost seems scaly, but I guess there's plenty time to refine things like that. ;)
    Patiently awaiting the next stream with the latest news.
  • Fan Tastic. I'll make sure to watch the stream.
  • Here's some more pretty for people who missed the stream.

• Hey all, sorry its been quiet I've just been head-down in work as usual, trying to get prepped for the next video update. Here is one additional little video if you did not see the twitch:

Also, the twitch archive from today is here:
    Watch live video from gavanw on www.twitch.tv
  • edited November 2015
    The Vanilla forums 'look & feel' is so pleasing that I don't really mind popping in here for a minute or two a day only to discover that she's still hibernating.
    I've been enjoying all the little tweet teasers and update videos.

As an aside: is there a convenient linky-link button around here for hopping to the main VQ site?
  • edited November 2015

The Vanilla forums 'look & feel' is so pleasing that I don't really mind popping in here for a minute or two a day only to discover that she's still hibernating.
    I've been enjoyed all the little tweet teasers and update videos.

As an aside: is there a convenient linky-link button around here for hopping to the main VQ site?

:)

I should probably put one in, let me see if there is an easy way to place it....

Edit: added it just below the site title

• Much better! Now rock looks "scaly" only where it's needed.
  • These recent tweets are showing enough progress to perhaps warrant an update. Looks great with the real characters in, and as soon as possible I'll be adding creatures of my own.
  • Noc said:

These recent tweets are showing enough progress to perhaps warrant an update. Looks great with the real characters in, and as soon as possible I'll be adding creatures of my own.

I agree - been quite a while since I put an update out. I will post a new one soon, as soon as I fix a couple more things. :)
  • Things have been looking good lately, but over the last couple weeks there's been no tweets and no posts. Anything new, or is it all behind the scenes stuff?
  • @PTTG - Lots of behind-the-scenes stuff, and Gavan went to GDC to network and demo VQ for conference-goers. He's been working on some sweet rendering things that you'll hear about in the next stream!
  • edited March 2016
    PTTG said:

Things have been looking good lately, but over the last couple weeks there's been no tweets and no posts. Anything new, or is it all behind the scenes stuff?

Yep its been relatively quiet for a couple reasons:
    I had been bouncing between tasks over a month ago, mostly regarding path finding and level generation and a few other things. Then I got into performance stuff, which has led me into (what I am really afraid to say) is basically another tech revision, albeit a pretty fast one (in terms of getting it feature complete). The last tech thing I did, with ray casting, was unfortunately kind of a dead end. There was no way I could make it perform better, and it was beginning to slow down a lot during complex scenes with lots of buildings. And this was slow on my machine, which is a very fast machine - performance would have been unacceptable on mid range and low end machines. So I have a new method coming up, that is quite fast but not without its downsides (it does 1080p at 600+ fps, whereas my old method did 1/4 1080p (480x270) at 120 fps tops (much less with a complex scene)).

Aside from that, there are many other advantages to this method which I will talk about on the stream tomorrow (Friday 12 pm PST this time). One thing I will mention is that it is much more flexible and easy to program, and I am able to add in new types of content very easily compared to old methods.

None of the old stuff has actually been totally wasted effort though - most of it is still being used in one way or another. For the time being I will probably continue to animate characters with ray-based methods because that is relatively cheap (alternately I can bake them to voxel models or sprites).
  • Could someone summarize the live stream here? I only caught the last bit and have to run again, so I'll probably watch it later. But I think the work on the engine is the most interesting bit.
  • @Moberg Sure thing. Gavan recently updated the rendering side of the engine to use a more traditional voxel implementation (similar to when he added perspective rendering to the original isometric rendering system), and now the engine runs much more efficiently (600+ fps at 1080p and 16^3 voxels per meter, with a view distance of ~1 km). He aims to get a release out in the next month that focuses on building and exploring, so the next few weeks will be dedicated to adding more building varieties and construction. The source code should be released around the same time as the initial release. Also, we're going to be streaming more frequently and will post dates/times on Twitter, on the forums, and on the Twitch page accordingly.