Small project under construction

Hi all,

I'm not as present on the forum for a simple reason : I'm busy. I'm starting a small project (nothing revolutionary, very simple) somehow related to VQ because it has cubes in it (call them voxels if you like, to me they are cubes).

This is simply a building game (with cubes), very similar to Minecraft but my aim is to make a sort of editor (no world). Then you could play with your contraptions, export and print them.
I'm making this game for a contest for Intel RealSense 3D camera so it'll include "natural" interaction with hands movements/gestures.

The first deadline is December, 17th. So I'll have to develop a working demo in a -very- short time (side project so only evenings & week-ends). I'll post my progress there.

After the first deadline is passed, I will post the demo. I'll be fully open to suggestion.

Comments

• Sneak peek of the first version of the engine (on Unity):
  • Which version of Unity are you using?
  • edited December 2014
    Last build with 4.6, but it should work fine on older versions as my code is very simple (I'll think of publishing the code when it'll be cleaner).
    Edit : Free version !
  • edited December 2014
    i wish you good luck. Ill be happy to check it once you reach your deadline.
    Btw how do you test the "natural" interactions without the hardware?

EDIT: personally i wouldnt wait after the code is cleaner to share it. Organization and senseless naming aside, its easier to understand what your trying to achieve without optimizing your code. Seing the finished piece says nothing about your ideas when you were turning your ideas into code
  • Thanks.
    Btw, I have the hardware. It was part of the contest deal.
    And when I said cleaner I meant readable. I wrote the code without a clear goal from the start, this is an experiment so every part of the code was stacked to test the feature. I wouldn't want for you (and for me) to read this mess.
  • Looks pretty neat so far! Not much time left, though. Best of luck!:)
  • Looks great! Actually, one of my earlier experiments a few years back was cube-based (i.e. Minecraft-style):

I've actually been interested in Intel's new camera tech - namely I wanted to see how well it performed scanning 3D objects.
  • edited December 2014
    Some update : ahhhh time is running out ! :)

I ran into several technical obstacles that didn't help.
    The camera is not supposed to be working with Unity Free so I had to find a hack.
    Hand tracking is not working as great as I thought. That's my main problem now, interaction is a not natural at all. I have to design a GUI working with a not-so-precise positioning.

It'll be hard to come up with something usable for the 17th, I was a little presumptuous here. There is a second deadline in February that is more realist.
  • gavanw said:

I've actually been interested in Intel's new camera tech - namely I wanted to see how well it performed scanning 3D objects.

Funny you mention that, my current work is on that subject : scanning 3D objects with a depth camera. I have Kinects (1 and 2) everywhere on my desk ;)
    The Intel's 3D camera don't come with any scanning soft yet. I'd say the quality should be under both Kinects and very short range (max 1.2 meters). It should be OK for scanning with low resolution (My very wild guess: error of ~ 1 cm).

• Clement said:

gavanw said:

Funny you mention that, my current work is on that subject : scanning 3D objects with a depth camera. I have Kinects (1 and 2) everywhere on my desk ;)
    The Intel's 3D camera don't come with any scanning soft yet. I'd say the quality should be under both Kinects and very short range (max 1.2 meters). It should be OK for scanning with low resolution (My very wild guess: error of ~ 1 cm).

Ah too bad - from one concept demo I had seen, scanning looked better. I have a Kinect for Windows (version 1) and the quality is not that great. Would be interesting if somebody tries to tie up a Kinect to posing and/or animating characters in VQ though. :)
  • Well if you look at this (video) you will see the final model don't have that much details (and that's ideals conditions). However, with better software it may me possible to obtain better results, but nothing perfect.
  • I've seen similar projects using point cloud library( http://pointclouds.org/ ). And they work on any hardware with cameras like phones etc. It might be worth it to do some searches on google or github on pointcloudlibrary to find a bit more info on the stuff.
  • :D Aha, yes that's the library I selected (and now use everyday) for my work. Definitely worth checking out.
    Note: be aware it is quite "heavy" with mandatory dependances to boost, Eigen, Flann, VTK.

Concerning scanning : Kinfu is done with PCL/OpenNI - entirely open source
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSZ1iznlTkE