Update 11.29.2014

edited November 2014 in Weekly Updates
Sorry, I'm lazy again, here is a link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavan/voxel-quest/posts/1068419

[Edit: full text of update]

Update 11.29.2014 - Some minor improvements, transparency in FP Camera, and more

Hi all, just a few improvements this week as I have been busy with Thanksgiving. I've been working on a few "intangible" things (some stuff that can't be demoed because they are mostly changes to code for now). These mostly concern systems for managing NPCs and items. I wanted to have something to post in the update so I put in the water and transparency today for the first person camera. I also added in an underwater sound for when the camera is below water, which turned out pretty well (additionally, it colorizes the scene when under water). I also made some changes to the GUI to allow more advanced widgets, one of which is the newly embedded map which I demo in the movie above. Also, sorry for the bad microphone volume in the video, I was too lazy to reshoot it though. Next time I will make sure the mic volume is ok.

Comments

• Wow. That is looking niiiiiiiice.

I particularly like the caustic effects. That's a nice visual touch. And the colorizing and audio shift when underwater are pretty slick.

But I think maybe what I like the best is the transparent windows. Ten years ago I was told by the developers of Star Wars Galaxies that modular housing and transparent windows were both not doable because house interiors were predefined instanced locations. I always wanted to look out my windows at the river running west of Keren on Naboo, especially on a rainy day (in the game), but it just wasn't possible.

That some form of transparency for windows is already starting to appear in VQ... happiness. :)
  • underwater looked awesome! I love the lighting effects going on under there
  • edited November 2014
    I really liked the caustics underwater, yeah. I'm curious about how often that will come into play - will there be underwater swimming? Caves, perhaps? How would all that be handled?

Also, Flatfingers - yeah, a lot of games do that (Skyrim, for instance), and it irritates me slightly. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to simply render the major nearby elements (trees and buildings right outside the window) and then do the rest with a skybox... but I guess not? I'm happy about transparent windows.
  • I think a lot of the reason seperate interiors/exteriors are dissallowed is that the insides are often a different scale from the outside. There is often not enough room in the external building to house everything inside, so windows would make that more apparent.
  • Ahhhh, excellent point there. You're probably very right on that.
  • I'm a little confused about why you need to colorize the screen when underwater. In mesh-based renders this makes sense, but the voxel-based engines I'm familiar with render voxels into a series of parallel planes, so for those engines this colorization ought to be "automatic". If that's not what you're doing in this voxel engine I guess I need to go relearn the technology....
  • Talvieno said:

I really liked the caustics underwater, yeah. I'm curious about how often that will come into play - will there be underwater swimming? Caves, perhaps? How would all that be handled?

Also, Flatfingers - yeah, a lot of games do that (Skyrim, for instance), and it irritates me slightly. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to simply render the major nearby elements (trees and buildings right outside the window) and then do the rest with a skybox... but I guess not? I'm happy about transparent windows.

I don't believe in restricting player movement, so yes they can go underwater (for as many turns as they can hold their breath, unless you have some special artifact or racial bonus that allows underwater breathing). Early on there probably won't be much underwater but eventually it would be interesting to add fish, sharks, etc.

• slaguth said:

I'm a little confused about why you need to colorize the screen when underwater. In mesh-based renders this makes sense, but the voxel-based engines I'm familiar with render voxels into a series of parallel planes, so for those engines this colorization ought to be "automatic". If that's not what you're doing in this voxel engine I guess I need to go relearn the technology....

You are partially correct - but only surface voxels are displayed in this version of the engine. However, eventually water will probably be entirely ray-marched, as it makes updating it dynamically easier (no need to remesh the water voxels). The resulting water will mostly be based on the macro voxels (8x8x4 meter chunks of terrain/water/etc).
  • gavanw said:

I don't believe in restricting player movement, so yes they can go underwater (for as many turns as they can hold their breath, unless you have some special artifact or racial bonus that allows underwater breathing). Early on there probably won't be much underwater but eventually it would be interesting to add fish, sharks, etc.

Awesome design philosophy. Taking the discussion from the ocean to the mountains, will there be a limit on how high characters can climb? Obviously they can't climb to an elevation above a mountain's peak, but would a high altitude affect a character's stats or abilities? I was just curious if this was a part of the game plan, or if mountains even go that high.

Also, what happens if you reach the edge of the map (if there is an edge, which I suspect there has to be to account for AI and processing limitations)?
  • will there be a limit on how high characters can climb? Obviously they can't climb to an elevation above a mountain's peak ...

That's literally true, but what if some form of flight is implemented? ;)
  • gavanw said:

Awesome design philosophy. Taking the discussion from the ocean to the mountains, will there be a limit on how high characters can climb? Obviously they can't climb to an elevation above a mountain's peak, but would a high altitude affect a character's stats or abilities? I was just curious if this was a part of the game plan, or if mountains even go that high.

Also, what happens if you reach the edge of the map (if there is an edge, which I suspect there has to be to account for AI and processing limitations)?
    There is no hard limit on elevation, and I was not planning to implement any effects imposed by high altitude (that might be one degree of realism that would not add much to gameplay, IMO). That said, it will be colder at high altitudes, and the temperature will affect the comfort/health levels of your PC(s) if they are not wearing warm enough clothing/cloaks/etc.

That's literally true, but what if some form of flight is implemented? ;)

There will probably be flight eventually. And naturally, dragons. ;)
  • Loving the transparency. Can't wait to see what you put in next.

Also missed the twitch stream because it was at 4am for me :(