Renaming the Game, Final Tally

edited November 2014 in Announcements
Official news from the Gavan/Pain dev team: thanks to all your votes, Voxel Quest is staying "Voxel Quest". The poll is now closed, but I'm leaving the thread open for future discussion.

The last poll almost doubled our count of forum members, and we received an incredible amount of feedback from the community, a good deal of whom weren't satisfied with the available names. You then proceeded to come up with a multitude of amazing new ones, for which we are sincerely grateful! Many of you made excellent points as well, including the suggestion that it might be best to keep the name "Voxel Quest". The reason Gavan was originally against keeping the name "Voxel Quest" was because of the negative connotations that have formed around the word "voxel", and the fact that there's no "real" reason to refer to the engine in the name.

As with the previous poll, the team was was hard-pressed to narrow the list of incredible options down to what we considered the best five, but the final round of voting is now officially open! (Be sure to remember that regardless of what happens here, the engine itself will likely retain the name "Voxel Quest".)

Comments

• Ah I must have a drunk hand because I clicked on the wrong one. I voted for Dominus Magus by mistake, I meant to vote for Voxel Quest! Hopefully my building skills are better!
  • I voted for Dominus Vi because it translates to "Wishmaster(as near as I can tell)", which I like.
  • Seag, never fear, I'll keep that in mind during the final count. :) Thanks for letting me know ahead of time.

@Mystify - Dominus Vi, I'm fairly certain, translates to "Master of Force" - which is suitable to an emergent, fully-interactive and destructible environment, I feel.
  • Oh dear, I can't say I'm a fan of any of these names. Dominus by itself would be great, if you could acquire the domain (though personally I think playdominus or dominusgame is fine)

The most successful games seem to be two or three english words mashed together with an easy abbreviation ("Voxel Quest" fits the ticket, and already has SEO and recognition) But I'd prioritize a name that roles off the tongue.

I know you aren't a big marketing/PR guy, Gavan, but this is a big decision. Knowing how long you've spent working on the game, I think it's name deserves a few long hours of thought. If I were you, I wouldn't settle for anything on this list (Except maybe "Voxel Quest")
  • edited November 2014
    I also hate to say this when the polls are closed, but it just occurred to me that rather than Latin, which tends to get used in Western games, why not use Welsh as discussed elsewhere in this forum? Those names should be easily .com friendly. Some quick suggestions:

Darganfod (discovery)
    Byd Agored (open world)
    Teithiwr (traveller)
    Fforiwr (explorer)
    Tiroedd (lands)
    Gwaith Carreg (stonework)
    Estron (foreigner)
    Amser Archwilio (exploration time)
    Gweithdrefnol (procedural)

Just some last thoughts on this I should have had sooner. :D
  • Noc said:

I know you aren't a big marketing/PR guy, Gavan, but this is a big decision. Knowing how long you've spent working on the game, I think it's name deserves a few long hours of thought. If I were you, I wouldn't settle for anything on this list (Except maybe "Voxel Quest")

This was actually exactly why Gavan put it to the community: It is a big decision, and he wants to give it the best name he could. He actually never really liked "Voxel Quest" (that's pretty clear in the Kickstarter video), and wanted something better - and he's given it a lot of thought. The trouble is, not everyone is good at coming up with names. :P And as you said, Gavan isn't into marketing.

Right now, Gavan is trying to remain focused on his productivity and getting the game whipped into a semi-playable state as quickly as possible. He's on a self-given timelimit, after all... and Pain (project manager) is doing his best to crack the whip, so to speak, so Gavan himself doesn't have all that much time to spend on coming up with a name. He does want to rename it quickly, though, so it has time to settle in people's minds a bit before the alpha release.

@Flatfingers‌ - those are some really good names, but the reason we didn't go with Welsh is because English isn't much based off of it, and the great majority of people wouldn't recognize any of the words. "Dominus", on the other hand, sounds like "Dominate" and also has a distinct Latin feel to it - a language commonly associated with the arcane. On the other hand, Welsh-sounding names would probably be amazing ingame as names for places or people - I can imagine a town named Carreg, Amser or Darganfod, or people named Gwaith, Estron, or Agored... just a random thought, though.
  • edited November 2014
    I'm still part of the camp that says latin is too complex to make for a good name, at least when there is more than one word. If such a thing were to be used, I would suggest something more commonly known or used, like "Infinitum". Voxelquest is a good name but it does lack a little something. Voxulous is far more catchy (and got my vote).

I still think it'd be good to keep thinking on potential names, because coming up with the absolute perfect fit can take some time and there really isn't a straightforward process to finding it. Also I think that perhaps we're going about this the wrong way by referring to voxels directly in name. A random thought I had while waddling my way to work was the word "Mote", as in a small particle, like a mote of dust, that was more popular in times past. Perhaps less of a latin approach and more a focus on common english from the medieval era? It's also not a deadly sin to be a little cheesy in the name, so long as it fits and embodies the scale and content of the game/engine. A slant on creation, community, adventure and the retro-style... hmm. We shouldn't overlook how more subtle, lower-key names can be just as powerful.

Perhaps we could just pool interesting and related words to begin with before we try combining or splicing them. It's far too easy to get stuck on a single flavour unless we all pitch in. Mote. Forge. Mason. Myth. Seed. Smith. Epic. Legend. Codex. Tome. Candle. Kiln. Song. Fable. Alchemy. Apothicary. Sooth. Prophet. Omen. Wright, as in a tradesman. Or partial words such as "illu" from illusion, or of course "Vox" to be used in careful conjunction.

Mythwright, Motesong, Soothsong, Pixellore (sounds like a matadore/fencer that uses pixels as a weapon? haha), Arcanakiln, Forgewright. Illumote. Alchemote. Mote mote mote. Hnngh, damnit. Of course some of these would work just as well as in-game names, items, locations, skills or professions. I still think it's worth continuing our hunt for a new name even if we settle on a new one here.

• Gweithdrefnol (procedural)

Say that 10 times fast ;)
  • I can't even say it one time slow!

(We'll be here all week, be sure to tip your servers.)
  • Gweith-drefnol sounds like an over-the-counter remedy for the common cold... in shoggoths.
  • Gweith-drefnol sounds like an over-the-counter remedy for the common cold... in shoggoths.

I laughed. This is excellent. lol
  • It looks pretty clear to me - just about everybody prefers "Voxel Quest". :P No contest.
  • edited November 2014
    Latin may have that arcane 'feel' to it, but Voxel Quest seems to be easily recognized. Dem voxels man.

I was going to, once again, throw out there the idea that maybe we just need to make up something that isn't a direct translation. However, the first example I was going to use was 'Riven' from the Myst series, but after looking it up and finding that it meant 'To tear or rend apart' I was like "Shoot...didn't know Rive was a word." and I started looking at other games that use some less-known words and found that a lot are from mythology.

I thought about the role that the player has in the world. They can mold and shape the world like an expert craftsman molds and shapes something into a final product that they find appealing. I started looking up things like "God's Forge" "Gaia's Forge" "Gavan's Forge" "Gavan's World Forge" (Haha) The first word is typically a being of power and the second is forge because I felt that the world IS where things are shaped and made (to them). Once again, throwing out ideas. Maybe someone will take something and run with it.

It is good to see that voting is picking up. Last time I checked, there were like 20 people and I thought "So VQ's future name is being decided by a handful of the supporters? :-\ We need more!"
  • edited November 2014
    To be honest, I think keeping Voxel Quest is a good move at this point (even though I voted for Voxulous); setting up a new domain, logos, and website isn't a difficult task, but I have little time to spare at this point. Any number of games could spin out of this engine, and perhaps we can think of better names once we know what those games are. :)
  • gavanw said:

To be honest, I think keeping Voxel Quest is a good move at this point

I agree. Also, by this point, many e-publications and web sites have mentioned it as 'Voxel Quest,' so there would be some loss of name-recognition if the name gets changed. In the absence of a really overwhelmingly popular and appealing substitute (which appears not to have surfaced), I think the game would be better off sticking with the original name. I would also mention that it has some 'real-world' practical advantages that shouldn't be overlooked:

*Short
    *Easy to remember
    *Easy to spell
    *Easy to abbreviate
    *Isn't too similar to other existent games (as far as I know)
    *Fairly culture-neutral, so regardless or whether the game takes unexpected directions during development, it will still work (as opposed to, say, "Elven Realms, " which, if there are no elves, no longer makes much sense).

Overall, I think it would be best to just stick with the name and move on.

• Heck, even just renaming it to show that it is an 'engine' to make other games with would be the only other reason I would think of changing it at this point. However, I was never really eager to change the name. Never had the stigma that 'voxels' are bad like I have heard from other people.
  • Never had the stigma that 'voxels' are bad like I have heard from other people.

I think putting words like "voxel", "craft" or "world" give people the impression that the game is simplistic or the world too...I don't know, generic? But I don't think that's going to be a problem here. :)
  • Exactly. Gavan has already impressed me. Everything else is icing on the cake. :p
  • If we're choosing a name for what it is now, then I'd go for "Voxel Quest". Because gavanw's been on a quest. For voxels. :)

I'm not comfortable choosing a name for the game until I can experience it. Quite difficult to describe something without knowing what it is, wot!

So, my vote is to wait until testers start giving it nicknames.
  • Kingsquee said:

If we're choosing a name for what it is now, then I'd go for "Voxel Quest". Because gavanw's been on a quest. For voxels. :)

I'm not comfortable choosing a name for the game until I can experience it. Quite difficult to describe something without knowing what it is, wot!

So, my vote is to wait until testers start giving it nicknames.

I wanted to do that but I was told that they wanted to change the name now so that it had some recognition by the time it was released. Otherwise, changing it later might not be the best timing. :\
  • edited November 2014
    Official news from the Gavan/Pain dev team: Voxel Quest is staying "Voxel Quest".

Thanks for all your votes and input, everyone!

Small edit by Gavan: for now, yes we are keeping the name Voxel Quest. In the future, when we have a better idea of what the game is shaping out to be (hard to determine since we are relying a lot on community input at this point), its lore, etc - we may consider renaming it. For now, keeping Voxel Quest allows me to focus on more critical tasks at hand. :)
  • In my sleep deprivation I even resorted to cheesy reverse-words.
    Turns out that some of them sound pretty good, albeit more of fantasy names than anything else.

Voxel - Lexov
    Engine - Enigne
    Works - Skrow

Lexov Enigne, generic tutorial NPC that looks suspiciously like Albert Einstein in a labcoat. Totally fits for a fantasy epic, right?
    No, don't worry, I'm going to bed now. You can pretend this never happened.
    *spooky, retreating hand wavings*
  • Ah, the name is staying! I think Voxel Quest will be great as an overarching engine name, but once you get all of the basics in, you should splinter off into a medieval subtitle. That way you can come back later and make a scifi version :)

Hopefully modders will make plenty of separate games with the VQ engine and give their games titles of their own. I don't see why the main one shouldn't have its own title too. If the ideal scenario really plays out (and their are awesome mods as good as the main game) then people buying "Voxel Quest" shouldn't feel like they're buying just the one game, you know?
  • The poll is already closed, but I feel I have to chip in my opinion.
    Like Deallus said, I don't feel a very negative connotation in the word "voxel", (maybe it could make you think of things simple and low-def like Minecraft...) but it's not that the problem. Rather, it could be that voxel is starting to be the 'hot' technology right now, like the 3D and polygons were years ago, and you can see on Steam and in indie games they put "voxel" or "cube" or some variation to make sure the public knows they use this cool new tech; so if anything, it risks blending with many other titles already published, not standing out too much among the Minecraft clones and other voxel-based games. But more importantly:
    if Gavan succeeds in what he's trying to put together, he'd have something amazing on his hands: you set up rules, needs, objectives, and the behavior of anything, NPC and beast alike, emerges from those. Must I remember everyone that this is how our universe works, with everything deriving from few Fundamental Forces and Universal Constants? This would be a system where you can change items, a few rules and relations, and you'd have any RPG universe ever thought, from fantasy to sci-fi to modern or hystorical. And it would be one of the few where, like in good novels, if someone deceives me and stabs me in the back it's not because he was scripted to do so or because he's a human that has fun being a dick, but he has good reason for that, even if he's an NPC. And I feel something huge like this quasi-"universe emulator" should not have a simple name like "Voxel quest".
    So in the end what I'm saying is this: Gavan, if you have any plan on licensing/separating the engine in the future, you can name the game Voxel Quest and give a more fitting and epic name to the engine, like "RPG Universe Simulator" or the like; otherwise you can leave game+engine with this name, or if you really hate it you can always change it, it's your stuff anyway. ;)
  • The "negative connotations" come primarily from games like Minecraft and Cube World, yes - neither of which have done quite as well by fans as they should have. Minecraft was buggy and unoptimized for the longest time, and Cube World was practically abandoned by the coder, who spent absolutely no time talking to the community or taking feedback - basically running away with everyone's money in the end. Voxels can be powerful tools, but in some communities they've gotten a bad name.

As to RPG Universe Simulator, we were hoping for something a little less generic. "First-Person Shooter" could accurately describe a first-person shooter, but it doesn't make for a great name, for instance. I'm happy to keep it as Voxel Quest - at least for now. I feel it's likely that it'll stay that way, though - when people start modding the game, and players really start digging in their heels, it'll stick, and there won't be any changing it at that point, which could be fine. Dwarf Fortress has a simple name as well, and yet it still has thousands of players. People come to associate the name with the game.
  • Talvieno said:

As to RPG Universe Simulator, we were hoping for something a little less generic. "First-Person Shooter" could accurately describe a first-person shooter, but it doesn't make for a great name, for instance.

Well, that was obviously a placeholder name for 'engine-that-can-simulate-ay-RPG-ever"... :P Normally would be something like "Tales from Illiria" or "Voxtech Engine" or something like that. (And anyway, that would be if-and-when the engine got distributed as a separate program, otherwise I concur just "Voxel Quest" would stick and it'd be the total mods that would have different names).
    Talvieno said:

The "negative connotations" come primarily from games like Minecraft and Cube World, yes - neither of which have done quite as well by fans as they should have. Minecraft was buggy and unoptimized for the longest time,

..and the fact that it has 8x8 pixel textures and voxels as big as my head don't help much the public image of this technology... 9_9
    Sure, many love and use Minecraft, but they have also come to associate voxels with "grainy and blocky". It's not necessarily negative, but it's not very positive either.
  • edited November 2014
    "Tales" was suggested, actually, but quickly shot down because of likely copyright issues. "Tales" is used in the "Tales" series - "Tales of Symphonia" for instance. I agree with you on the other points, though. The trouble was finding a good name. Maybe Gavan will rework what people think of voxels. :) Then we won't have to worry about what people think when they see the "Voxel" in "Voxel Quest".
  • Hopefully! He'll have to show internet, no, the entire world, the real face of voxels! :)