Renaming Voxel Quest

edited November 2014 in Announcements
Heyaa!

Between Gavan, Pain, PreacherJayne, and myself, we whittled the list down to 5 potential names. (No offense to anyone - some names were just too ambiguous, did not have a good ring to them, or had other problems.) Gavan is also still open to hearing new names if you have any really good last minute ideas, but for now lets stick to this poll and see what we come out with.

(This was originally Gavan's post, but I moved it over here to make the results private.)

EDIT BY GAVAN: due to the (rightful) public outcry, we will create a new poll, with Voxel Quest as an option (the reason we decided to rebrand was that many people had a negative reaction to Voxel Quest - I am actually cool with keeping it if everyone else is). Lets get as many suggestions in this thread as we can before I create a new poll.

Comments

• Legends of Men and Legendary Worlds seems too common. Arcadianum is too much like Arcade. Tabernum doesn't flow off the tongue.

So I guess I'm voting Dominus Orbis
  • edited November 2014
    Zanteogo said:

Legends of Men and Legendary Worlds seems too common. Arcadianum is too much like Arcade. Tabernum doesn't flow off the tongue.

So I guess I'm voting Dominus Orbis

Lesser of evils FTW. ;)

Also - I'd like to add in for those new to the discussion:
    "Dominus Orbis" is (roughly) Latin for "World Master" -- a play on "Dungeon Master" with a broader scope.
    "Tabernum" is Latin for "taverns"

Although on closer inspection:

orbis, orbis N M 3 3 M [XXXAX]
    circle; territory/region; sphere; [orbis terrarum => world/(circle of lands)]; - I knew that orbis terrarum was "world" but thought I could shorten it, even if the term was incorrect

Humorously, doing a reverse translate on Google, it comes up with this:

Lawsuit!

Still, its not entirely incorrect - it could be interpreted as "Master of Territories" or something similar.
  • I'd be happier with Dominus than Dominus Orbis.
  • Latin to modern language gives you usually more than just one correct translation. Context is usually needed to get the "one" meaning.
  • edited November 2014
    Dominus Orbis was one I wasn't particularly fond of because it doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily as I'd like... "Dominus Orb" or "Domin Orbis" do, but the "-us/-is" prefixes mess it up for me. It's still cool that so many people like it, though. Plus, I like the "DO" initials.
    "Try not. DO. Or do not. There is no 'try'."
  • Talvieno said:

Dominus Orbis was one I wasn't particularly fond of because it doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily as I'd like... "Dominus Orb" or "Domin Orbis" do, but the "-us/-is" prefixes mess it up for me. It's still cool that so many people like it, though. Plus, I like the "DO" initials.
    "Try not. DO. Or do not. There is no 'try'."

Interesting...of all the names to choose from, I like Dominus Orbis the best (because of all the others there, I actually think it can be said more fluidly!). Yet, now that you mention Dominus Orb, I think it sounds even better! Orb can refer to a round planet or world, too (but it would be a combination of Latin and English...it might be interesting!). ;)

I actually liked Legendary Worlds at first, but after thinking more about it, I now like Dominus Orbis more, because I like shorter, quicker to say names!
  • Legendary worlds was my second choice, but Dominus Orbis sounds cooler. It feels more like an iconic name, and the latin gives it weight.
  • None of these names are particularly bad, but none of them really seem to mean anything. Voxel Quest, on the other hand, implies that it's a voxel-based game with (potentially) questing. I love names like that. A name should be descriptive as often as possible.

For a different take on the same argument: If you say to a person who knows what voxels are that you are playing a game called Voxel Quest, they will have a vague idea of what your game is. If you say to a person who knows Latin that you are playing a game called Dominus Orbis, they'll probably think you're playing an RTS or something.

Legendary Worlds is even less descriptive (and much less unique).
  • Darn, I actually thought Voxel Quest was a really good name. Plus, you know it's going to show up at the top of search results for "voxel game".
  • While we are on a Latin rampage, my contribution : TerraVolubil
    From Terra (land, earth) and Volubilis (revolving, changeable, inconstant).
    Variations : TerraVolubilis, TerraVoxlubil, Orbis Volubil :/

I won't add that to the poll unless at least few people like it.
  • Agree with several of the other posts, these all sound worse than just "Voxel quest" which at least says something about the game. The rest seem like ramdom rpg name generator output ("legends/defenders/quest of/for latin-sounding thing/place")
  • Why not add "Voxel Quest" to the poll then ? If a huge majority go for VQ, it'll mean something and maybe Gavan will change his mind.
  • edited November 2014
    Blarghedy said:

None of these names are particularly bad, but none of them really seem to mean anything. Voxel Quest, on the other hand, implies that it's a voxel-based game with (potentially) questing. I love names like that. A name should be descriptive as often as possible.

For a different take on the same argument: If you say to a person who knows what voxels are that you are playing a game called Voxel Quest, they will have a vague idea of what your game is. If you say to a person who knows Latin that you are playing a game called Dominus Orbis, they'll probably think you're playing an RTS or something.

@Blarghedy‌ - A name, I think, should be interesting, so that it attracts a person's attention and makes them want to see what the game is about. Plus, Dominus Orbis does mean something, it means "World Master" in Latin. ;)
  • edited November 2014
    "Dominus orbis" seems to be popular so far, here are some alternatives if people are not quite happy with that:
    dominus terram/terrae (master of land(s) / earth)
    dominus omnia (master of everything)
    dominus stell (master of stars)
    dominus mundos (master of worlds)
    dominus verba (master of words)
    dominus vi (master of force)
    dominus arma (master of weapons)
    dominus imperium (master of government)
    dominus quae (master of things)
    dominus dracones (domini draconum?) (master of dragons)
    dominus supra (master of beyond)
    Edit: dominus vox (master of voice, mentioned by Clement)

Edit 2: for the initials DM (i.e. dungeon master), here are a list of "M" words:
    http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/frivs/latin/latin-dict-full.html#M

The list goes on....most of these are available domains (have not yet found a taken one).
  • @gavanw‌ You know that vox actually means something in Latin ? So while you are at it why not Dominus Vox (Master of voice).
  • Blarghedy said:

None of these names are particularly bad, but none of them really seem to mean anything. Voxel Quest, on the other hand, implies that it's a voxel-based game with (potentially) questing. I love names like that. A name should be descriptive as often as possible.

"Voxel" is about as useful of a descriptor for the gameplay as "polygon" would be. All it tells you is how the game renders its graphics. Its worse than the old trend of adding "3D" to a game title, because back then it was novel, and it was a fundamental part of the gameplay. "Quest" actually makes me think of a sierra adventure game, like space quest, king's quest, police quest, time quest, etc.
  • After consulting a latin speaking friend, she suggests Dominus Mundi as a clearer translation, as Mundi gets you "world" where Orbis is "globe".
  • I aren't a huge fan of any of the above really.

I voted for Dominus Orbis however, as I think it's the best available.
  • Voxheim Vanished Murmur Story Bros Online.

Kidding.. i know the options are above, i voted.
  • How exciting :) I just voted, but I'd like to suggest Anima Dei, "God's Soul", or "God's breath", i.e. the source of life, and in some beliefs and myths even the power to wish things into existence. Most TLDs (including .com) seem to be available too.
  • Mystify said:

After consulting a latin speaking friend, she suggests Dominus Mundi as a clearer translation, as Mundi gets you "world" where Orbis is "globe".

And it shares initials with dungeon master, which fits into the engine's potential for tabletop simulation!
  • Voxel Quest sounds better than any of the proposed replacements to me. It has significant momentum already. Even if someone doesn't know wtf a Voxel is, It's still a cool word to say and pretty easy to spell, and remember later.

Yes, Voxel doesn't tell you what the gameplay/story is like; but Quest says enough to convey a CRPG, or roguelike, as the kickstarter describes. Sure, Space Quest etc games use the word differently but Quest is definitely apropos to the type of gameplay.

Is there a post explaining why you feel a change is even needed?

Please add Voxel Quest to the poll!
  • Clement said:

While we are on a Latin rampage, my contribution : TerraVolubil
    From Terra (land, earth) and Volubilis (revolving, changeable, inconstant).
    Variations : TerraVolubilis, TerraVoxlubil, Orbis Volubil :/

I won't add that to the poll unless at least few people like it.

I like the translated terms, but "Volubilis" is a mouthful :)

• Clement said:

Why not add "Voxel Quest" to the poll then ? If a huge majority go for VQ, it'll mean something and maybe Gavan will change his mind.

Good point :) We will do an updated poll soon perhaps taking input from this thread, now that we have quite a few more suggestions.
  • grownseed said:

How exciting :) I just voted, but I'd like to suggest Anima Dei, "God's Soul", or "God's breath", i.e. the source of life, and in some beliefs and myths even the power to wish things into existence. Most TLDs (including .com) seem to be available too.

Interesting - I am familiar with the term "anima" and its association with life (and of course, "animation"). Was thinking of ways I could incorporate it.
  • Woah.

Dominus Imperium

I'm liking this a lot.
  • Hey @tln, welcome to the forums!
    Gavan picked the name "Voxel Quest" because a) it describes the engine and b) it's easy to remember and it's domain name was available. :) Don't get me wrong -- I love "Voxel Quest"! -- but we want to avoid the impression that this game is cool just because it's engine works differently than Unreal 4. The community has been working ideas for names that better represent the emergent gameplay and world growth that Gavan's game has to offer, and this is what we've got at the moment. :)

In my opinion, I'd prefer to give the engine and Gavan's game separate names, but I totally see how several other game/engine combos work well with just the one.
This discussion has been closed.