Rejoice! I'm unbanning myself from the forums. :)

edited November 2014 in Announcements
I've decided that it is better if I just self-regulate my usage of the forums so that I can address topics as needed. I still might not be able to contribute to every thread, but I will try to read over what I can.

I will still be using Fridays to do dev updates and stream on Twitch. :)

Happy to say that I will be demoing the new improvements soon. Obviously I can't afford to lose much more time on engine-related stuff, but the game needs to be playable and that means that performance and visuals need to be acceptable. The new perspective camera (if set to one of the higher detail levels) now looks quite similar to the isometric screenshots in terms of quality, and performance is good enough that I can proceed with other tasks now. I'll provide screenshots and videos this friday after a little more tweaking. :)

Comments

• Hooray. Progress and communication.
  • Great to hear that progress is coming along so well! And communication is always, always good. I actually think it's going to be most important right now, and immediately following each release, to show the community that you're there and listening. After that it could probably fade out a little bit without doing too much harm.
  • gavanw said:

The new perspective camera (if set to one of the higher detail levels) now looks quite similar to the isometric screenshots in terms of quality, and performance is good enough that I can proceed with other tasks now.

That's great to hear! When you say you set it to higher detail levels, do you mean that you increase the number of voxels per meter? I've been running some C++ simulations to see how viable a physics-based magic system will be performance-wise, and while vector operations are excellent for large areas at 32 voxels per meter, raising that number makes things a bit dicey :)
  • Excellent! And of course, being the shy and retiring souls that we are, I'm sure we'd never fuss at you if we think you're spending too much time cruising the forums. ;)
  • Aha, express change of mind.
    I won't judge : "No more reddit for 1 month, too much procrastination" -Two days later - "Oh well, just 2 minutes can't hurt"

I'm eager to see the demo!
  • edited November 2014
    Thanks guys! Yes, it was short lived but that is for the better - if something is not working well, I'd rather change it then stick to a failing plan. :)

Also, lets keep it going on the rebranding, since the sooner we pick something the easier it will be to transition.

There are quite a few names to pick from but more are always welcome:

http://voxelquest.vanillaforums.com/discussion/59/renaming-voxel-quest/p1

Maybe a good start would be for people to pick their top 3 (or top 1 if you can only think of 1)?

I am a bit drawn to Welsh, for a weird reason. Not because my name has Welsh origins, but I actually think it is a beautiful language, even if incredibly difficult to pronounce.

I really liked the Halo ODST commercial from years back, which featured a Welsh song. There is debate over the meaning of the lyrics, but some say it is:
    "We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into Annwn* in the knowledge that we will rise."

*[the Celtic otherworld, which is like the halls of Asgard]

• I'm guessing that means that the badge-wielders won't be the only ones voting on the future name of VQ?
  • edited November 2014
    Talvieno said:

I'm guessing that means that the badge-wielders won't be the only ones voting on the future name of VQ?

Not sure - what do you think is best? I don't think I specified anywhere that would be the case, did I?
  • gavanw said:

The new perspective camera (if set to one of the higher detail levels) now looks quite similar to the isometric screenshots in terms of quality, and performance is good enough that I can proceed with other tasks now.

That's great to hear! When you say you set it to higher detail levels, do you mean that you increase the number of voxels per meter? I've been running some C++ simulations to see how viable a physics-based magic system will be performance-wise, and while vector operations are excellent for large areas at 32 voxels per meter, raising that number makes things a bit dicey :)
    Regarding all spells, particle effects, etc - for the most part these will be done with discrete (not grid-bound) particles, so the limit is not tied to the voxel resolution, just the number of particles you can render. As mentioned elsewhere, the basic forms for water, lava, etc, will be rendered at the macro-voxel level.
  • gavanw said:

Talvieno said:

I'm guessing that means that the badge-wielders won't be the only ones voting on the future name of VQ?

Not sure - what do you think is best? I don't think I specified anywhere that would be the case, did I?
    No you didn't. :) I just wondered if the badges might be used for that sort of thing. If not, I'll throw up a poll in the announcements section later if you'd like.
  • Talvieno said:

gavanw said:

Talvieno said:

No you didn't. :) I just wondered if the badges might be used for that sort of thing. If not, I'll throw up a poll in the announcements section later if you'd like.
    Sounds good, feel free to put up a pole. :)
  • gavanw said:

Regarding all spells, particle effects, etc - for the most part these will be done with discrete (not grid-bound) particles, so the limit is not tied to the voxel resolution, just the number of particles you can render. As mentioned elsewhere, the basic forms for water, lava, etc, will be rendered at the macro-voxel level.

That makes sense, and I suppose collision detection doesn't change too much as a result. Simulating gravity and the effects of being thrown back by a spell still requires a bit of processing power, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see how you're handling character movement in the first place :)
  • gavanw said:

Sounds good, feel free to put up a pole. :)

• gavanw said:

I am a bit drawn to Welsh, for a weird reason. Not because my name has Welsh origins, but I actually think it is a beautiful language, even if incredibly difficult to pronounce.

I really liked the Halo ODST commercial from years back, which featured a Welsh song. There is debate over the meaning of the lyrics, but some say it is: "We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into Annwn* in the knowledge that we will rise."

*[the Celtic otherworld, which is like the halls of Asgard]

Anyone interested in this sort of thing might enjoy reading the Mabinogion by Evangeline Walton. It's a really nice take on the Welsh legends.

I've enjoyed reading Welsh history for some time now. Wishing that Edward I had minded his own bloody business is something the Welsh and Scots can share. :) Plus I found a Welsh name for my wife's horse, since his sire was a Welsh Cob, so that was fun.

While I don't speak Welsh, I've heard a little bit of it. I don't know that I'd call it a "beautiful" language; to my mind, the guttural "ch" sound (pronounced like a milder version of the back-of-the-throat "H" sound in Klingon, which is not a comparison I thought I'd be making today) and to a lesser extent the "dd" (th) sound, plus the high frequency of p, b, g, and d consonants harshen the otherwise liquid character of Welsh. It's really fun to hear it spoken, though, as its Brythonic roots mean it's a kind of glimpse back into the dim pre-Anglo-Saxon past of Britain.

In fairness, the Scots Gaelic of my own ancestors, while somewhat musical, isn't particularly beautiful itself. It also suffers from being freakily hard to spell -- I think they stick random vowels in every word just as a joke on non-native speakers. :D