Feature Ideas!

edited November 2014 in Design
So, Maybe we could come up with some Ideas for the future of the game, or mods, such as dungeons, bosses, Etc.
But My first few would be....

1. Skins
skins that you could customize would be awesome, like adding a small voxel editor where you could make a custom character, layer by layer. Then, you could play as yourself! Or a Elf! Or an Orc! or A... I'll stop now=P

2. Houses
You could gather rescources, by chopping down trees or buying rocks from a quarry, then either build a rickety shack, or hire someone to build it for you! You could build a Towering Castle, a Sprawling Mansion, a Treehouse, Or anything in between!

Have Fun!=D

Comments

• 1. Gavan has actually shown part of character creation, and it does indeed look very much like it could be customized even at its current state. I don't think you'll have to worry about skins. :) Plus, I think elves and orcs are going to qualify as "races", and each have different looks entirely, as well as possibly different attributes, as that's in line with both RPGs and roguelikes.

2. This might actually happen - in fact, I rather expect it to, though not block-by-block as Minecraft does it. :)
  • Talvieno said:

1. Gavan has actually shown part of character creation, and it does indeed look very much like it could be customized even at its current state. I don't think you'll have to worry about skins. :) Plus, I think elves and orcs are going to qualify as "races", and each have different looks entirely, as well as possibly different attributes, as that's in line with both RPGs and roguelikes.

2. This might actually happen - in fact, I rather expect it to, though not block-by-block as Minecraft does it. :)

Maybe in Modules?
  • You could gather rescources, by chopping down trees or buying rocks from a quarry, then either build a rickety shack, or hire someone to build it for you! You could build a Towering Castle, a Sprawling Mansion, a Treehouse, Or anything in between!

Implement this right and it would be HUGE. The reason that so many people come to Minecraft is to build things and show them off--imagine how complex things could get with a fully customizable set of blocks. You could contract out to local craftsmen (and design your desired building much as you design ships in Galactic Civilizations), or lay the blocks yourself in sandbox mode. Then watch as people from the city populate and use your designs. And then since they're destructible, they exhibit wear as the game continues and could be knocked down, set ablaze, etc.
  • Houses in a long-play RPG are very appealing to some gamers. Collectors in particular enjoy having a place where they can store their massive piles of loot, as well as to display the most interesting pieces or the ones with the most resonance for them (like a weapon they used for a long time but finally replaced).

Along those lines, another feature that's remarkably attractive to some gamers is pet creatures. How about that for a suggestion?
  • Along those lines, another feature that's remarkably attractive to some gamers is pet creatures. How about that for a suggestion?

My girlfriend requested a rideable pet giraffe. If that gets her into playing VQ with me, I highly support this!
  • edited November 2014
    Pets...hmm....

Well, given my favorite companion EVER was "Dogmeat" from Fallout, this won't be problem.

Edit: Also, my wife has said multiple times if we don't include our dogs in the game, she won't play it.

For reference, here are our dogs, who tore up her "Fifty Shades of Grey" book a year or two ago (showing, of course, what good taste they have)

• And, would pets be just for decoration, or would they help you in some way, like in fighting or tracking down people?
  • @Mage‌ - either, technically. Maybe you have a parrot that has little utility beyond a house decoration (or perhaps owning a pet ups your comfort level, which is probably the opposite of real life ;) ).
  • Talvieno said:

1. Gavan has actually shown part of character creation, and it does indeed look very much like it could be customized even at its current state. I don't think you'll have to worry about skins. :) Plus, I think elves and orcs are going to qualify as "races", and each have different looks entirely, as well as possibly different attributes, as that's in line with both RPGs and roguelikes.

Maybe in Modules?
    @polardozer‌, what do you mean by modules? I take it you're referring to the second part, building extensions on houses and whatnot.
  • The ability to own pets will increase sales massively.
    People are crazy for their virtual pets.
  • support for parties should make it easier to allow a creature to be a party member; this would allow combat pets to be an option, beyond "cosmetic" pets.
    If I could make my entire party into pets it would be cool. beast-master hoy.
  • Talvieno said:

Maybe in Modules?
    @polardozer‌, what do you mean by modules? I take it you're referring to the second part, building extensions on houses and whatnot.

Something like You have sections you can put together like, 5 different kitchens, three different types of loot rooms, that you can put together to make a custom house. But the Minecraft-esque building would undoubtedly be the best for building.
  • edited November 2014
    I personally think construction would be best like this: You set out a macrovoxel for building, and then "construct it" by choosing the building type and bringing the appropriate materials. As you continue bringing the materials and spending time on it, it progresses from plot, to framework, to scaffolding, to the near-finished product, to the finished product - to give an example. It would need to be a macrovoxel anyway, as that's how VQ works with buildings... but the shape would be entirely up to the player.
  • Having the ability to specify an area to be a building and build it would allow for a more dynamic world, as the NPCs could construct new buildings, or rebuild ones that have burned down, etc.
  • Talvieno said:

I personally think construction would be best like this: You set out a macrovoxel for building, and then "construct it" by choosing the building type and bringing the appropriate materials. As you continue bringing the materials and spending time on it, it progresses from plot, to framework, to scaffolding, to the near-finished product, to the finished product - to give an example. It would need to be a macrovoxel anyway, as that's how VQ works with buildings... but the shape would be entirely up to the player.

Have you heard of Stonehearth? I think they use a similar system for building construction and resource management that could easily be modified to fit the VQ chunks.

Also, maximum size of buildings? I'd like to build a castle, for example. :) I wonder how simple it is to construct things that span multiple macrovoxels. As long as the walls don't run at odd angles across the macrovoxel edges, I hope it wouldn't be too difficult to implement custom roofs and divisions and whatnot.
  • Yes I have heard of Stonehearth, but most games that aren't Minecraft-esque work like this - and there's a very good reason for it: It's simple, and you can build onto it however you like.

The maximum size of buildings shouldn't be an issue. I think the maximum absolute size would technically be the entire world - once Gavan gets it so you don't have to build on roads, at any rate. Imagine battling through an enormous building instead of countryside...

Multiple macrovoxels has already been done ingame. Actually, I haven't seen any buildings that only spanned one macrovoxel. It's simple: add a new section on, and the building shape morphs to fit it, much in the same way that happens with roads. I think it needs a little more functionality, though, so you can make wider buildings... but it will come with time, I'm sure.
  • Mystify said:

Having the ability to specify an area to be a building and build it would allow for a more dynamic world, as the NPCs could construct new buildings, or rebuild ones that have burned down, etc.

You can already do this in the engine - its just programmatic right now but would be as easy as specifying an area in world space to plop a building or shape.