Renaming Voxel Quest

edited November 2014 in General
Gavan has said in a good number of places that "Voxel Quest" is only a working title. This thread is for brainstorming ideas on what Voxel Quest might be renamed as, and for discussion of what makes a good game name.

Edit by Gavan: you can check for available domains here (as noted, MUST be a .com):
http://www.networksolutions.com/domain-name-registration/index.jsp

Edit 2 by Gavan: domain must not have dashes or any other tricks; these can still be regarded as trademark infringements;

Also, one idea to help inspire people - it maybe sounds kind of weird/cheesy, but I was thinking in the opening of the game your avatar gets sucked through an 80's arcade cabinet into the world by some software/universe glitch. Inspired by the likes of Tron, Ultima, etc. This is of course, up for debate. It also was going to be used to explain the anachronistic nature of the music and provide some other interesting stuff that I won't spoil. :)

Potential Names
Ongoing Chronicles (Mystify)
Dominus Orbis (gavanw)
Chronicles of a Daily Adventurer (Zanteogo)
Legendary Worlds (Pain) -- up for auction at $677 currently
Voxantem (PTTG)
Epic Country (Talvieno)
Arcadianum (Clement & Talvieno)
Rus Jugis (Borkyborkbork)
Bubonic Tales (Borkyborkbork)
Endless Walking Simulaor (Borkyborkbork)
Legends of Man (Talvieno)
Pilgrim's Quest (Talvieno)
Unbridled Worlds (Talvieno)
The Unfathomed (Talvieno)
Arcadian Odyssey (Talvieno)
Medieviquest (Talvieno)
Tabernum (Gavan - Latin for taverns, also available in Welsh as "dafurn" (tavern, singular))
Ulrec (Gavan - play on ulrich, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulrich note, I've already registered this domain to protect it, as it is very difficult to find 5 letter domains that are not completely random combinations of letters, but I'm still open to other names)
Canbardd or Canbard (Gavan - Welsh for "Bard Song")
Hymgais (Gavan - Welsh for "quest")
Vagantur (Gavan - Latin for "wander")
Wanderer(s) Quest (Mage) - (note from Gavan: I liked wanderquest (which is taken) but I don't like the word wanderer because the er-er on the end makes it less elegant)

No-go
Firedawn (Talvieno) - already registered
Procedural Voxel World Emergent Artificial Intelligence Role Play Game Quest - or PVWEAIRPGQ (Clement) -- haha, nope ;)
Tarot (PTTG) -- already registered
Voxel Populi (Flatfingers) -- already registered
Dynamic Adventures (Mystify) -- already registered
Blazing Steel (Talvieno) -- already registered
Bramble (momxa) -- already registered
Dawn of Dusk (Talvieno) (dawn-of-dusk.com) -- as noted above, can't contain dashes
Arcadianus (Talvieno) -- shitty ending
Wanderquest (Mage) - already registered, for sale.

Edit by Gavan: I'm going to start crossing off names that are already registered .com's or won't work.

Comments

• As long as the gameplay isn't bolted down, I'm happy with it being named Voxel Quest. Once it's clear which way the game heads it would be easier to find an apt name, I think.
  • Since a name change would involve a little bit of a hassle in terms of switching domain names/moving stuff around/etc, what about calling the engine Voxel Quest and Gavan's final game something else? That way people who build their own games can spread word about the platform, and Gavan's game gets its own, more descriptive name?
  • edited November 2014
    First thing to consider is what the title should convey. Currently it conveys that the game is based on voxels, which isn't really the point. A much better aspect would be the dynamic stories it can create.
    Some descriptors to work with:
    Tales
    Chronicles
    Annals
    Journal
    Records
    Stories
    Legends
    Sagas
    Epic
    Adventures

Another thing we could highlight is the setting. This is harder to work with since its unformed, but including the name of the world/cosmology could be good.

We could also include the protagonist in the title. Being a customization RPG, your identity is flexible, but an appropriate descriptor could be used.

A McGuffin could be used as well, but that doesn't seem to lend itself to the dynamic stories either. Same thing with a villain, or other main character. Basically anything story-specific is unlikely to work.
  • Since a name change would involve a little bit of a hassle in terms of switching domain names/moving stuff around/etc, what about calling the engine Voxel Quest and Gavan's final game something else? That way people who build their own games can spread word about the platform, and Gavan's game gets its own, more descriptive name?

"Quest" doesn't seem like a suitable title for an engine
  • Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how, but I think it might take something a level above standard moderator privileges: http://blog.vanillaforums.com/help/split-merge-move-comments/

I don't have any of those buttons.
  • Procedural Voxel World Emergent Artificial Intelligence Role Play Game Quest - or PVWEAIRPGQ

:)
  • @Mystify‌, I tried to move it, but by the time I got there, you'd already flagged it for deletion :)
  • "Chronicles of a Daily Adventurer"
  • Perhaps he should change the $9,999 level to "name the game what ever you want" (within reason)

Might get a taker!
  • edited November 2014
    Building onto Mystify's earlier suggestion, perhaps something like:
    Living Legends
    which would emphasize both the RPG nature, the story, and the fact that it's a living world.

edit: nevermind, this has already been used. lol
  • Dynamic Adventures
    Ongoing Chronicles
  • I'm thinking that maybe we need a name for the world.
    Then it could be
    [Name] : Living Legends
    Chronicles of [Name] : the daily struggle
    [Name] : a living world
    Adventurers of [Name]
  • A name for the world would help.

Ongoing Chronicles of [Name]
  • edited November 2014
    I'm personally against anything that directly describes the gameplay or engine... Hmm.

Blazing Steel, perhaps... not the best, though... "blazing" lends something to several elements - destructibility, fire magic, trailblazing (maybe)... Steel at least brings to mind medieval warfare.

We should also consider one-word titles - some of those might be particularly good. Perhaps even merge them into a single word like "Everquest" does.
  • Reading through the suggestions here. Some good input so far. I can't think of a cool (and possibly not TMed name), so I would keep it generic with "Legendary Worlds". The word "World" in plurar, to imply the procedural character of the game.

A quick Google search returns no direct hits on this, only very similar sounding ones (incl. a travel agency, where they use world in singular). At least no computer games with that name.
  • I'd shy away from keeping it too generic though...for example, I really like the name "Dwarf Fortress", because it's generic enough, but still alludes to a major aspect of gameplay.
  • Just don't include the word "Scrolls" in the title.

Or "Saga."

Or any word that is an actual English word. :(

You should be safe going with Plxhqn Hnrskle, though.

Maybe.

Less facetiously, I might try to build off the word "voxel": Voxel Populi, maybe? Too arcane? It was once a RPS headline joke. And there seems to be a YouTube commenter (locksixtime) who has a series named Voxel Populi (which, weirdly, has had quite a bit to say about the Storybricks AI for SOE's Landmark game). But I can't find any clear reference to any specific game called Voxel Populi.

Alternately, instead of focusing on the tech, it might be helpful to get a good read on what the core gameplay experience is meant to be, and generate a name that plays off of that.
  • edited November 2014
    Oh awesome just happened upon this thread, let me look it over....one name I had been considering was "Dominus Orbis" which is (roughly) Latin for "World Master" - a play on "dungeon master" reflecting the broader scope of the game.

IMPORTANT RULE: a .com domain name for the proposed title must exist for trademark reasons, otherwise someone can potentially sue me for trademark infringement. (Edit, in order to search if a .com is taken, you must use an actual registrar search method - entering the URL will not suffice as some domains are not parked). Search for domains here:
    http://www.networksolutions.com/domain-name-registration/index.jsp

OTHER IMPORTANT RULE: name should be easy to Google. Voxel Quest almost always points the right direction in a Google search. My last game, Genesis, obviously had a super common name and was hard to Google.

GOOD SUGGESTION: consult dead or uncommon languages: Welsh, Latin, Greek, etc. - easier to find domains for.
  • momxa said:

Bramble

Hey everyone - that's my mom! How tech savvy is she to be using forums? :)
  • *waves at Gavan's mom* Heyaa! :)

More impressive than mine, that's for sure. XD
  • Waves back! I like Bramble because it contains the word ramble....and is sort of medieval sounding.

• Except "Brambles" because plurals are more evocative for exploration. :D
  • Tarot

Pros: Evocative of medieval mysticism, and traditional tarot cards have artistic style that meshes with the current work.
    Cons: It's not really a game about fortune-tellers...

Voxel Populi

A population of AI in a voxel world... get it? Eh? Eh?

Terah

Anagram of Earth, sounds like Terra.
  • I'm not too concerned about the name to be honest. Just wanted to say that I've been celebrating and I love you guys. :-D
  • There's already an MMORPG called Terra... I don't know much about it, but it's close enough that it could cause issues with Terah, so I don't think that will work, sadly.
  • edited November 2014
    Picking a good name is incredibly important... and I'm going to take a bit of time to do a fully comprehensive post. Most of this is probably obvious, but there's no reason to not have everything in one place.

There are a number of factors to take into account when choosing one:

1. The distinctiveness
    2. The "meaning"
    3. How catchy/memorable it is
    4. How well it translates
    5. The potential for sequels.
    6. How short it is. Short is good.

As there is no rush to come up with a good name, we can safely take the next few months coming up with it. I'd actually allow a few months, in fact, because that will give us more time to think about where the game is headed and what would fit it best. We can only name a game once, and unlike a baby name, it's not as simple as choosing one we like - we have to choose one that will really grab people's attention. To a good extent, the name sells the game.

Now, there are a number of different "Types" of names we could choose, among them:

1. Actual words.
    These are generally minefields for a number of reasons - trademark hell, hard to register a domain, hard to rank well in google searches, easy to get overshadowed by other games with similar names - or worse still, be confused for a game in that series. edit: As Gavan points out below, it's still very possible to find a name that isn't used, but we want a name with two words maximum.

2. Phrases
    These are about the same as above. While it's easy to add on new words (see: Slaves to Armok, God of Blood: Chapter 2: Dwarf Fortress), the likelihood of infringing on a trademark increases proportionally to the length of your game's name. On the other hand, that makes it even easier to describe the game.

3. Portmanteaus
    These are names created by choosing several words and blending them together. Bethesda tends to like using these - Morrowwind, Skyrim, Daggerfall - and there's a good reason for it: it overcomes most of the obstacles from using single words: you don't have to worry quite so much about trademarking, the names are often memorable, and it's hard to get confused for a game in another series.

4. Fake words
    The main problem here is that these names don't have any inherent meaning affixed to them, which can make it considerably more difficult to get across what your game really is. Things that can fix this are using prefixes and suffixes common to the genre or setting, such as "-verse" for a space game, or "hydro-" for an underwater one. I'm including acronyms under "fake words", as they are essentially the same thing.

And finally... once we have a good list, we cross the bad ones off, vote on them, and whatever remains... That's the new Voxel Quest. :)
  • Does the engine have a name?
  • Gavan's (Supersampled) Voxel Engine ?
  • PTTG said:

Does the engine have a name?

Current plan is to perhaps leave "Voxel Quest" for the engine name, since we have all the domains and branding setup for that and people are already attached to the name (by memory, not by emotion). This will save some work and provide a good placeholder from which to forward to the new name.
    Talvieno said:

These are generally minefields for a number of reasons - trademark hell, hard to register a domain, hard to rank well in google searches, easy to get overshadowed by other games with similar names - or worse still, be confused for a game in that series.

@Talvieno‌ - I agree with all your points, but it is possible to find some semi unique names (bad example, but Voxel Quest avoided trademark infringement and was easy to Google). I prefer MAXIMUM of two words in a name though. Probably won't find any available one word domains that are any good. Better yet, making portmanteaus, as you suggest, is a more viable alternative.