Community Manager wanted!

Dear community,

We are now looking for a number of community managers, ideally one per major timezone (Americas/Europe/Asia+Pacific). You should be able to dedicate a bit of time each week, to converse with the folks present on the forum and also the chat. It is also imperative, that you are a calm person who rationaly deals with "hot" situations and helps to avoid flame wars between community members.

Since this is an international community, solid English is required for this position. Please note, that this is a non-compensated position, so please only apply if you are OK with that. What you get, however, is our eternal gratitude. ;)

As a community manager, you will have the opportunity to look a little behind the scenes of this project and join us (Gavan and me) for the weekly status call.

Please reply here in the thread if you're interested in doing this kind of work.

Comments

• I'm happy to help out, though I admit I don't have as much experience with gaming in general as some of these guys/girls from Limit Theory. That said, I'm really excited for VQ and I'd love to do what I can to see it through development. What kind of time commitment do you think this will be? I'm pretty flexible with my hours, and I live fairly close to San Diego (if that's a factor).
  • I'm happy to lend a hand until someone more skilled comes along. I pretty much have a constant eye on the chat, and read the forums regularly during the day. I'm also a calm person who tries to mediate and discuss rather than draw conclusions.
    That being said, I'm inexperienced at this, so it would be a learning opportunity for me. I'd also need to get a headset.

In all honesty, I'm not really a people manager, organisational and technical skills are more of my strong suit. Still, I care about this project and want it to succeed.
  • I'd say you two make phantastic candidates, purely judging from your activity on the forum so far. So PreacherJayne would cover the Americas and Katarone the Europe part (Belgium I believe, right?).

@PreacherJayne‌: Since Gavan lives in San Diego, that makes you pretty much a perfect fit. :)

Please send me your email addresses and Skype contacts via PM and I will invite you to next Wednesday's call. It will be somewhere between CET 22:00/PST 13:00 and CET 24:00 / PST 15:00. I hope this works for both of you.
  • Correct, Belgium.
    Is mumble or teamspeak a possibility? Skype doesn't behave on Linux.
  • Thanks guys - also on another note - if/when we do start making significant revenue (i.e. there is enough money coming in that we have disposable income), we can turn these into paid roles - obviously it might be quite some time before we reach this point, if ever. Until that time, since you are volunteering, the requirements are not that strict - it is ok if you need to attend to other things for a while, miss a few calls, etc. Thanks!
  • Katorone said:

Correct, Belgium.
    Is mumble or teamspeak a possibility? Skype doesn't behave on Linux.

I suppose so... for me it does not really make a difference, which software we use for the call, as long as it works. :)
  • Sounds great!

@Katorone‌, what issues are there with Linux? I'd like to use Skype on my laptop (Ubuntu 14.04), but haven't ever tried it out.
  • the version of skype for linux is an old one that pre-dates the acquisition by microsoft. As such it's not supported. It wouldn't be too bad, if it wasn't a buggy release and very demanding software (which is weird for what it does).
  • I'll give it a download and see what happens, thanks for the heads up.
  • I've used both teamspeak and mumble in recent podcasts, both seem good to me, and a little better for multi-person conversations.
  • I won't apply for the job I think. I have approximately zero free time these days (but almost all of it went to this forum ;) ).
    I'll gladly help when I have more time (European time zone).
  • I'm in the UK. Not sure I can commit much time but if you give me mod privileges in whatever forums or chats I'll use them responsibly. :-)
  • edited November 2014
    *waves* I'm open to help. I can't get in the chat much because of DNS issues, though. (sorry, I wasn't on yesterday - I had a deadline I needed to deal with.)

I think I may be a bit late for this, unfortunately. :P But I'm still offering, just in case. Too many cooks in the kitchen is undoubtedly a bad idea, but, you know.
  • edited November 2014
    Talvieno said:

*waves* I'm open to help. I can't get in the chat much because of DNS issues, though. (sorry, I wasn't on yesterday - I had a deadline I needed to deal with.)

I think I may be a bit late for this, unfortunately. :P But I'm still offering, just in case. Too many cooks in the kitchen is undoubtedly a bad idea, but, you know.

Yeah, really we could use a few people, regardless of overlap - not everyone can cover their shift all the time. There will probably be a reasonable limit though, say 5 people max or something?
  • jackdaw67 said:

I'm in the UK. Not sure I can commit much time but if you give me mod privileges in whatever forums or chats I'll use them responsibly. :-)

@jackdaw67‌ - you already were a moderator - its not apparent for most people because it does not say, but I have already assigned several mods. I'm not too skilled with IRC so I don't know how to assign moderator there.
  • Forgive me for asking, but what would be the difference between a community manager and mod? I'm trying to get a feel for the differences in roles, if any. Thanks!
  • My ideas of being community manager goes a bit beyond the point of merely being mods. For now, there is not much difference, but in the future I think that the community managers help in mobilizing the masses, help organizing events with the community and such. But all in due time.

For these reasons it's instrumental to have the "chosen ones" in the call. Yeah yeah, sounds super dramatic, but it's really not anything special.

I want to assign PreacherJayne and Katorone first, but should they "not be available anymore" (for whatever reason, RL is somethimes changing things, also maybe no more interest in being CM) I keep Talvieno in mind as a backup, if that is alright with you.
    Jackdaw67, you're already a moderator, so go and be a responsible demi-god. :D

@Katorone‌, I'm still waiting for your PM...
  • edited November 2014
    So some sort of combination of PR and community organization that's yet to be determined? That's cool by me, and I hope real life doesn't shake things up too much!

Also @gavanw‌, if you wouldn't mind adding me as a moderator, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
  • @PreacherJayne‌ oops thought I already made you one. You are one now :)