Human(oid) NPCs

I saw that there was a topic on Monsters and Animals, but I didn't see anything specifically related to NPCs such as humans. Seeing as how the world is going to be populated by people of different professions and such, I had this question on the LT forums but feel that it would more readily have answers here on the VQ forum.

Have human NPCs been designed at all besides what I have seen from the videos? Are they being designed still, are they already designed but being held for a larger news release? I haven't made a contribution on KS because I am a bit hesitant on that point. I do a lot of RPG stuff with friends and when I can't see them face to face, we tend to use Skype. I didn't know if NPCs (That aren't monsters or animals) were something that would be implemented further down the road (past the KS end-date) or if it was something that already kind of exists but just not in a polished form that meets your(Gavan) expectations.

Having something like VQ would be helpful immeasurably EVEN if it was only with the world generation.

However, I also write on the side and I believe VQ would help me generate some ideas and situations that I just can't brainstorm easily. Sure, I read books and play other games but having a living, breathing world would help too.

I do hope to throw money at VQ for 3+ keys so that my buddies and I can use this great technology you have made, but I was hoping for just a tiny bit more information before doing so. Sorry for holding oooooout.

Comments

• Sorry, I wanted to add in an edit last night but I had taken a sleeping pill and wasn't quite feeling up for adding more.

I have seen the videos showing the character customization in the game, so that was about the extent of my knowledge about humanoid NPCs in VQ. While I am sure that we will be able to customize NPCs for various reasons, I was hoping that there would be pre-made ones that we can choose from (Human male, human female, Rambo, Space Ferrets, Giant Crabs with Monocles and Mustaches, etc).

Also, sorry for posting this like I am demanding anything special before I make a commitment on KS, I have only ever made one KS commitment and I am still relatively new to the idea.

<3 Charley
  • My apologies again. Gavan replied on the LT forums so I'll post his reply here for everyone's benefit!

"Hi Charley - a few options:
    1) 3D scanning in miniatures
    2) traditional model import
    3) using the procedural character generator I am making. Right now it is very early (I've only put about 1 week of work into it), but you will be able to make all kinds of stuff with it, not just humanoids but beasts as well, with no particular size limit or detail limit. So far, its actually pretty easy to use but I can provide templates of body types and poses as well. It will also look much more detailed with varying textures, clothing/armor, etc.

Characters will be posed, like miniatures, and can have multiple poses, but I am avoiding animation intentionally at this point. Its actually fast enough that I can animate characters in realtime, but there are many other issues to consider with animation and it is just not required yet to get a functional game. Other things, like particle fx, will be animated (i.e. tossing a fireball at someone)."