Setting design

How classic is the setting intended to be? Will it be standard things like orcs and skeletons, or will there be mainly unique monsters created for the setting? Will the visual design be based on real-world biomes like swamps and forests and mountains, or will they have a more fantastical bend, like the swamps from The Dark Crystal?

Comments

• edited October 2014
    This is a good point, and something I was wondering too. Voxel Quest currently has a quaint, rustic charm to it... something that reminds me of pictures like...

Or...

Or...

Or perhaps...

And one for the road...

I can imagine things like water wheels, streams, gardens, forest trails, great oak trees with overhanging branches... As of right now, there doesn't seem to be too much work with shadows under trees, but that could change. I think VQ would be gorgeous at sunset, especially with an ambient water sound as a stream flows across your screen, creating little waterfalls.

Now I'm curious... Streams? Waterfalls? I haven't seen any of that in the pictures... that sounds like it would be complicated to manage.

And what about vegetation besides trees? haven't even thought about that...

I'd love to see swampish areas, though. That could very well turn out to be gorgeous with VQ's engine, especially with a murky sort of gloom, a dense fog... Lighting is everything in art.

"Dead" areas, where everything is murky/milky, ghoulish, ashen... that would be pretty cool, too. The best thing is that it's only really a matter of the lighting and how you color the voxels.
  • Well, Voxel Quest does have a certain charm to it. :) I've heard people say that in several places.
  • Talvieno, I really like the pictures you've posted. Is it only me or does it have a 'harvest time' feeling ? Like, end of september with more orange hue and a lot more colors in the trees than only the uniform green.

@gavanw‌ Did you have a particular feel you were trying to achieve with the graphics ?
  • edited October 2014
    Yeah, I specifically included only pictures with a "harvest time" feel because, honestly, that's what I get from the pictures we have so far of VQ - a sort of idealized, european/medieval feel, too, but that's a little harder to convey. Things like yellow thatched-straw roofs, the waterwheels I mentioned earlier, even things like "piles of fallen leaves" (i.e. ground tile voxel sets colored like leaves) seem like they would go exceedingly well with VQ's design. It's all up to personal interpretation, of course, though.

Something I would like to note, though:

The paths are a little sharp. :P

edit: and some are redundant... could be fixed to make it feel more organic.
  • They might be there for future housing. :D
  • With those slopes? You sure? :P I could see it if the terrain was flat... not so much with it so hilly.
  • edited October 2014
    You've never driven through Germany, have you? :D
    In the Black Forest area there are houses built on/against the slope of a cliff. The garage is usually on the attic, and connects to a road. The bottom of the house is used for living. :D

Edit: spelling
  • Nope. I'd love to go to Europe, but... well, you know my situation. :P But you've obviously been there, and it sounds beautiful. As I said above, VQ has a very distinctly European feel to it. :D It sounds beautiful.

(I still hope roads in the wilderness are more curvy.)

And, on that note... can roads be built post-worldgen? Could you conceivably build a road yourself?
  • Those are interesting questions. I'd also love to see wilderness being tamed, trees cut down, bushes trampled. A dirt road at first, a real one a bit later, but only where there's a bunch of traffic.
  • And, conversely, perhaps unkept buildings could crumble? Eventually farms and fields could have weeds spring up, and then trees, over a long enough period of gameplay... it would have to be accelerated, of course, but so would building roads.

If there are wagons as vehicles, building roads could be what gets them from place to place, making them necessary between towns. Seeing roads would mean there was merchant traffic- you could use it to determine how safe the area was.
  • I think this rustic feel is a nice slice of the world, but what about beyond it? Will there be other civilizations that aren't so quaint? What about the wilderness?
  • Will there be options to have different styles of buildings? You could have your classic medieval theme, maybe Renaissance, Industrial Revolution, etc. However, that depends on how complicated it is. Seeing as how professions and all of that changes, would probably be much different.
  • Talvieno said:

Lighting is everything in art.

So true.

I started doing some photography a few years ago, and the pictures that have gotten the most attention have invariably been the ones where I caught a perfectly-lit moment. You can work to produce great composition and motion, but nothing makes color and texture "pop" like the right lighting. The pictures I'm proudest of have been the ones where I could see that the lighting was right and got myself into position at the correct moment to capture it.

Dynamic natural lighting in VQ that helps to set a mood would be wonderful.

But that makes me start thinking about weather....
  • Well, if you've seen the "colony design concepts" thread over on LT, you'll already know I'm a major fan of rain in games. :P
  • Talvieno said:

Well, if you've seen the "colony design concepts" thread over on LT, you'll already know I'm a major fan of rain in games. :P

I really wanted to get rain in...just another one of those million tasks.

As for roads being redundant, yes there are some instances of that and it can be fixed with a little work.

As for the style, I did not have anything in mind initially, I just read through this book to get some ideas:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1465408800/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944579842&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0679814116&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=10F80YZSFMWAXSFTBE1Q

Also inspired by Tudor-style housing I saw on my trip to Germany and Switzerland.

There will be several more influences in terms of style - probably drawing from everything including Greek, Egyptian, Japanese, Indian, and other styles of classic architecture.

I'm also working on a way to programatically degrade / age buildings to make ruins and abandoned cities.
  • Ooooh. I very much like the sound of this - Greek, Egyptian, Japanese, etc... So, am I correct in assuming that there will be different "cultures" to go along with these architectural styles? Will there be a Japanese-themed "biome type", for instance, with bamboo and cherry trees?
  • gavanw said:

I'm also working on a way to programatically degrade / age buildings to make ruins and abandoned cities.

Awesome, this is something I've always wanted to write.

• Talvieno said:

Well, if you've seen the "colony design concepts" thread over on LT, you'll already know I'm a major fan of rain in games. :P

I vastly prefer snow. However, rain is not at all without virtue.. case in point: rainbows. :D

• edited October 2014
    gavanw said:

Aaaaaand... there's another box checked on my technical requirements doc for that goofy Living World idea of mine. :)

(Although the more important bit is how that feature serves the vanilla Voxel Quest game itself, of course.)