What if the kickstarter fails

Although I would be quite sad if that happens, it seems important to me to think about it.
Pain said Gavan and him discussed about it, but I don't know the outcome of that conversation so here are some thoughts :

I wouldn't mind giving my pledge directly via the website (with paypal for example) even if if means 'no guaranties'. I think I'm not alone so that could be a backup plan and allow a longer time for financing the project and hopefully a better coverage in the media. Maybe the "no Kickstarter" policy in some magazines wouldn't apply and you'd get more articles.
I should also let you enough time to add some illustration of the gameplay that is cruelly missing right now. I don't know if you can come back 6 month later with a new and more "mature" Kickstarter, is this possible ?

This post aims to start a discussion and see what would be possible with the community.
This could also be the place for discussion on "how to save the Kickstarter" . Throw advices on how to reach a new public before 10 days (forum, magazines, etc)

Comments

• I'd be happy to donate as well. And even donate again in a future kickstarter after the community has grown a bit.
    I'm creating posts on a few gaming communities' forums, seeing if I can rile up some more support.

I'll keep you updated on forums I post on, so that others can lend their voice.
  • Here's one... I hope I got it right: http://ilovebacons.com/threads/voxel-quest.709/
    If you have any pointers for me how to convey information correctly and in a more engaging way, I'm all ears.
  • The forum posts are nice (that's how I heard about VQ) and your post seems great to me.

The only real advice I gave was to show more of the game itself (even sketches).
    I do not really know the perfect way to do it, I'd go for honesty just like Gavan did, but also make the people dream about the possibilities. I should add that a lot of people are lazy and/or have few minutes to discover the project, so summarize and show sketches of the world/characters/gameplay/other in a 3-5min video should help.
  • edited October 2014
    Five or so different potential investors (apart from Pain) have shown interest in VQ. Two of them were actually billionaires, and at least one of the others offered six figures. Gavan stated he would rather have kept it private so as to maintain total control of the project, but if the Kickstarter isn't finished... it doesn't mean VQ will die. It just means he'll have to accept the offer of one of his investors - which will probably mean no release of source code. That'll kill off a lot of interest from developers and modders (Japa, for instance). The investorcould very well mandate that the game cater less towards a niche fanbase such as ourselves and more towards a mass audience, too. Both are reasons to get the KS funded.

Kicktraq is already showing some pretty sad numbers in the projections, but I know we can turn that around. Let's get out there! VQ won't fund itself. Give it your best pitch and see what people think.

If Gavan did decide to do another Kickstarter... I sincerely hope that it'll be handled slightly differently than this one. =p this one doesn't really hit its full potential. I don't think there would be another, though.

I'm personally already reaching out towards online news sites. (I have some slight experience in PR work.) I haven't found anybody yet who would publish on it, but I'm sure I will at some point.
  • The campaign has a strong chance to succeed. Often many people sign up at the start of a campaign, then there's kind of a lull (depending on how much press the campaign gets) until the end, followed by an ending burst if the campaign looks like it will succeed. If you only have 10% near the end, that's bad. But this is already over 65% funded, which is good considering there's almost two weeks left.

(My data comes from having run my own kickstarter campaign a little while ago.)
  • ps I'm also happy to personally contribute in the (I think small) chance kickstarter doesn't happen. But I think it's worth focusing support on bringing in more kickstarters than thinking about this what-if.
  • @tyler : I agree that getting more backer is a priority, however I don't think it is a waste of time to think ahead.
    I wish you are right concerning campaigns ending (I also heard similar stuff) but I wouldn't consider it certain until I see that 30.000$.

Also do you have advices about "bringing in more kickstarters" (except the forum/twitter/facebook combo)?
  • I know its not always accurate, but Kicktraq is still predicting a successful campaign.

Besides, the upswing in the last two days of a kickstarter campaign, as people jump in before they miss out, is a well established trend.
  • @Clement, I think any press is good. Trending on reddit / HN / other aggregators is good. A trending Medium article might be cool. It's about connecting to your potential audience. I've never done this for a video game, so I don't even know the best sites to be featured on, but whatever gamers with good taste read - trend there!
  • I've emailed Adam Smith, the writer of the original RPS article on VQ. Hope something comes from it. :D
  • Hi all - talked with my investor a bit last night about this stuff actually. Technically, anything can happen but here are some current thoughts. If the KS fails, my investor will most likely continue funding me (as in, its pretty certain at this point). If not that, I have another offer on the table from someone who seems like a good fit for my beliefs, although you never know what someone is like until you work with them and the contract is on the table (I've experienced the old switch-a-roo once already!).

Among the two billionaires who expressed interest (I think this is safe to say, since I'm not disclosing names), one was to work with me side by side on his new project (and get paid a lot to do so), and the other was just along the lines of "I think this looks genuinely interesting, and I am really curious to see where it goes" -- and he talked about a few other things as well. All other offers were from millionaires (one who sold a company for 9 digits).

We will see where the campaign ends up. I'm not going to double dip on Kickstarter without permission from my current backers. Anyhow, if I were to come back in 6-12 months, there will probably be enough of a game that I will have preorders started and likely make more money from that than I would a campaign. Whether or not the KS succeeds, between my investor, current offers, and so forth we will have a good path paved to move forward on. If I decide to launch a new campaign and this one fails, I've certainly learned a lot from my mistakes!
  • As I see it, since for now VQ is more of a voxel engine than a game (AFAIK), you could probably reach out to those more interrested in the engine than in the game per se. If you look around here, most people have programming / game dev experience or interest. You could probable sell a beta of the engine beforehand. Who knows, releasing the code earlier could get you people helping on features that would quicken the release of a playable game.

Food for thought...
  • ASalvail said:

As I see it, since for now VQ is more of a voxel engine than a game (AFAIK), you could probably reach out to those more interrested in the engine than in the game per se. If you look around here, most people have programming / game dev experience or interest. You could probable sell a beta of the engine beforehand. Who knows, releasing the code earlier could get you people helping on features that would quicken the release of a playable game.

Food for thought...

I intend to release code as soon as possible - must evaluate the Kickstarter rewards first, then ensure proper licensing (i.e. that any libraries I am currently using will not break laws if released with the game, which I'm pretty sure is already the case because I have checked most if not all of the licenses.
  • We should be looking into creating some sort of post with all the updates from the last few weeks, put it in an article form in http://www.voxelquest.com and then publish/upvote it in hackernews and a few strategic subreddits.

Let's give it a coordinated push so it gets some visibility.

What do you guys think?

• Sounds good to me. (: I'm not very familiar with Reddit, unfortunately.
  • I stand by Gavan, as I have in the beginning. I have faith in the project and in him. He is extremely capable of the work that lies ahead; all he needs is time and money.

Even though I'm far from being a millionaire, I will try to raise the money he needs to finish the project. The project will go on, one way or the other. There might come a time, when we need help from a 3rd party, but we cross that road when we get to it.

So fear not, dear community, it will continue. :)
  • Pain, we understand that perfectly. I think we've just taken getting this Kickstarter completed a personal challenge. :) Even if everything will continue smoothly if we fail, we want to see it through.
  • Dont' get me wrong, I'd love to see it succeed. It will free me from giving Gavan more money for a while. ;)
  • Yes, top priority : ensuring the completion of the Kickstarter. But that's reassuring to know that it's not "succeed or die".

@jackdaw67‌ Very good idea! It is not an easy task though and will take some time. I currently have very little time, but I started a shared document : anyone to complete it ?
    https://lite5.framapad.org/p/Voxel_Quest_Update

If we all participate it could save Gavan some precious hours of work ;)
  • edited October 2014
    Thanks all - lets maybe push for that update when I release a demo of the first person camera? Could be a good combined push. The FPS camera should be done soon if I can scrounge up the time, which means I'm going to be less active in the forums and elsewhere for a few days (it could be done today, in fact). I think getting the FPS camera could be a good way to get on Hacker News again.

Also, it should be noted, in terms of a backup plan: now two of the three investors have been repeat offers, even after seeing that my Kickstarter is not doing that well (perhaps because of that) - so if all else fails there is definitely a way forward, even if it is not the most ideal path. For those unaware of what I discussed earlier, here is why getting an outside investor is not ideal:

My current investor is in line with my ethics, perhaps because he has had a similar experience in many ways. Other investors (in particular, one of the two that has offered twice) are very good at making money, at any cost really. I feel like if I took an outside investment, I would be pressured into an acquisition (investors tend to want the fastest, biggest return on their money). An acquisition would definitely deflate my motivation to improve the project, not because I would become wealthy(er), but because I would be improving a project that I only had partial (if any) control on. I am more interested in building a company that lasts, like Valve, and keeping it private (no acquisitions, no IPOs, etc).
  • Highlands did pick up at the end and got funded. Don't lose hope :-)

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/439704341/highlands/#chart-daily

One thing I've noticed browsing Kickstarter in incognito mode is that the project doesn't come anywhere close to the first pages so we're really not getting any exposure there. I'm pretty sure that with a bit of exposure we can make it.
  • edited October 2014
    @jackdaw67‌ - yeah, KS has not yet featured me and very few referrals are from KS (the majority were from my site / hacker news). Here are my stats:

(Most of the referrals from my site were actually from Hacker News, because the HN story linked to my site, not Kickstarter)

• Talvieno said:

$450 from LT. :D

Actually, even more than that came from LT - some of you guys were counted as direct referrals. :)
  • @gavanw, I have some spare time on my hands. What would you like to see in the VQ update doc that @Clement started? If you'd like, I can summarize some of the recent discussion about the topics already listed, if it'd save you some time.
  • Besides the update (which is a good idea), another raise-awareness post could be about finding investors as an indie developer. That's something I would personally like to learn about.

Also I suspect HN may have voting-ring detection, meaning that if we want to vote up a post, then it would be wise to take actions that appear legit. For example, landing on the home page or "new" page first (rather than a direct link to what you want to upvote), clicking on the link first, and randomly waiting some time before giving the actual upvote so they're not all clustered together.
  • @gavanw, I have some spare time on my hands. What would you like to see in the VQ update doc that @Clement started? If you'd like, I can summarize some of the recent discussion about the topics already listed, if it'd save you some time.

Yeah, anything you would like to summarize is good by me, and then maybe I can look over/edit it if necessary. Thanks!