The Official Introduce Yourself Thread

edited October 2014 in Introduce Yourself
Please use this thread to introduce yourself (sorry I messed up, if you could copy, paste your response into this thread I'll delete the old one for you)

Comments

• Hello fellow forum members.

I am a french software engineer (C++/C#) with background in computer science research (3D, image synthesis, virtual reality). I am a game dev on my free time (which is definitely too short). I have realized one game called Frogz and a lot of half-finished games.

I noticed Gavan's work a long time ago (some videos about voxels - back in 2009, or something) but only noticed this Kickstarter a few days ago on CastAR dev forum.

I have great hopes for this engine, lets see what it becomes :)
  • edited October 2014
    Hi, I'm another guy from Limit Theory forums. I'm not a backer (yet! it would be my first-ever kickstarter pledge if I do commit), but I've surprised myself by following the Voxel Quest campaign very closely.
    I guess Talvieno's enthusiasm is infectious. :)
    Speaking of Talvieno, I'll traitorously mention that he failed to brag of his two WIP Dwarf Fortress utilities, LangCreate and RandCreatures.

About me: age 27, citizenship & residency Canadian (southwestern Ontario), high school dropout after five years, factory worker, not a programmer (yet I've harboured a closet enthusiasm for game design over many years).
    Gaming is my vice: RTS being my favourite genre and FPS my least favoured, but I've sunk hours into all sorts. I've recently dipped my toe into tabletop (Settlers, Smallworld, Munchkin, etc.) as well.
  • I go by Mystify. I am a software developer working on natural language processing professionally, and I study game design as a hobby
  • Eric, 29, web developer (trying to be full-stack), started as a Java dev and I make half-started terrible games when I'm bored. I remember seeing voxelquest's engine stuff a few years back on some articles I was reading about procedural generation topics (which I love) so now I'm kickstartering this because it looks fantastic to play with.
  • edited October 2014
    Moving this over here.
    Heyaa! Talvieno here. You may recognize me from the Dwarf Fortress or Limit Theory forums. I've been watching Voxel Quest for a while now and figured I'd pop in and say hello. No, I'm not a backer, but before you stone me to death - it's not by choice. :P I really don't have any means to back/purchase it - or anything - at the moment. (It's complicated.)

As to my work? Past work includes 3d-modeled shiny bits such as this:
    http://talvieno.deviantart.com/art/Orbital-Dogfight-486146928
    http://talvieno.deviantart.com/art/Bottom-Floor-of-Davies-Bookstore-486786303
    http://talvieno.deviantart.com/art/Otherworldly-Nebula-486774160
    http://talvieno.deviantart.com/art/Glass-Rose-1-421215304

I also program and write stories on the side.
    Sci fi: http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3642
    Fantasy: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119562.msg3818832#msg3818832

Now that I'm done showing off... I'd like to add that although I can't back, I'm helping out in any way I can to give Mr. Woolery and Voxel Quest a little more attention. This is one of those games I really latch onto - solo developer making something procedural, infinite, and AI-heavy.

Wishing you the best, Gavan! Fingers crossed. :D
    @Baile_nam_Fonn‌, happy to have you here! :D As to my DF utilities, yeah, I didn't figure they were as easy to talk about. It's nothing like DFHack or Stonesense. :P I have a number of other programs I've written (mostly kid games or large-scale AI proof-of-concept stuff), but they aren't really easy to talk about either. "Art" and "Writing" are easier to see visually, and even the "writing" is a bit of a footnote.
  • SeamusFD said:

Hey all... I go by SeamusFD, I am an amateur Java developer and small time Web developer. I saw this project a couple days ago and saw there was forums up. I have always loved to make my own stories with games ever since I was small, and I think this engine will be a great tool for me and others to create amazing stuff with, Keep up the great work gavanw :D

Oh and forgot my twitter handle... https://twitter.com/seamusfd
  • Hello all! My name's Marc, but I usually go by Grent on the internet. And by "usually" I mean "always." Like most of you, I'm a programmer who works on video games. As of yet, only two of my games have ever been "released" to the public, but I'm currently working on something bigger that I'm hoping I can get on Steam. No details on that yet, though, because it's still really early in development and I'm a bit superstitious about telling people what I'm working on before it's a ways along.

I have a twitter (https://twitter.com/Grentacular) but I never use it because I don't really have followers and I don't have followers because I rarely use it (and also because I'm not important). I'm trying to post periodically so that I don't have just an empty Twitter if I ever do get to be important, but it's usually pretty mundane stuff. I also technically have a website that I will probably link when it's more than just "COMING SOON" on a blue background.

So yeah, that's me in a nutshell. I'm pretty excited for how VQ is going to turn out; it sounds pretty sweet so far!

Shameless plugs for the things I've made:
    Super Morse Code RPG - http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/567733
    SMCRPG was (mostly) made in three days for a game jam in which every team was given some sort of a limitation on their design (hence the dude in the wheelchair on the loader - it was the "handicap challenge). My team got "you can only use one button." After complaining with my animator about how we totally got the hardest handicap, we went with a morse code based system because I was determined to have more than a simple binary choice. There's problems with it but overall I like how it turned out. You should play it because I still technically make money off of it.

Pulse - http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/369446
    This was my first game I ever really finished, back when I was a sophomore in high school. It's not the best but I have fond experiences from making it.
  • edited October 2014
    (Partly copied from Kickstarter)
    Hello everyone. I'm a 25-year-old software engineer from Toronto, Canada, recently moved to Mountain View, California to work for a major tech company.

As with many people, a lot of my early experience with programming involved making games for myself. When I first started learning to program as a kid, it was at a summer program where they guided us through making simple games -- first using VB6, and later using C++. Many of my early programming projects were making simple games for myself.

However, since I've started working professionally I haven't done anything remotely related to games -- it's been mostly web programming -- and I haven't used C++. Still, I’m looking forward to playing around with the VQ engine. At minimum I’ll enjoy tweaking things, but hopefully I can manage more than that.

Among other things, I’d like to use the engine as an environment for online RPG sessions with my friends. I could start with an engine that’s entirely manual, and then gradually add helpful functionality over time. Playable multiplayer functionality for something this simple and slow might not be too hard to implement…

I don't have much of an online presence, except for some posts on Stack Overflow.

Actually, as it happens a project I previously worked on is also currently doing a Kickstarter campaign. It's a neat web site and production system to let you customize and order cabinets (and later other furniture) in the exact shape and configuration you need, while avoiding most of the extra hassle and expense of conventional custom furniture. It's pretty neat. (Disclosure: I no longer have any financial stake in the company, but I do have an emotional stake in seeing a project I worked on be successful.)

• Hi!

I'm from Belgium, where I own a shop selling chocolates, nuts and dried fruits amongst other things. I'm impressed by the collection of IT professionals on this forum, but I'm not one. :D
    VQ's main appeal on me is the potential for a procedural Ultima VII game. A world where I can get lost in during my free time. Having a world to explore and be part of it appeals to me more than conquering it. Since there are weeks when I don't have the time to fire up a game, I'm hoping to play VQ in a way that allows me to keep track of my progress though some kind of journal, so I can just jump back in after some busy periods.
  • Talvieno said:

@Baile_nam_Fonn‌, happy to have you here! :D As to my DF utilities, yeah, I didn't figure they were as easy to talk about. It's nothing like DFHack or Stonesense. :P

Speaking of, hi!

I'm one of the Stonesense devs, and as soon as I saw Voxelquest, I started pondering how I could use it to do something stonesense-like with it.

I'm a backer, but until I get some more in my bank, only a dalla :(
  • Japa said:

I'm a backer, but until I get some more in my bank, only a dalla :(

If funding is successful for VQ, there will be a few ways to win a key... At least if you like to create stuff. :D
    There are the monthly Fan Contests on the Limit Theory forums. And I'll also be hosting a contest here where people can submit their art for the emerald tier, the winner gets a key as well naming rights for the creation.
  • Howdy! Another Limit Theory hitchhiker here, also by way of Talvieno and Katorone.

I'm a long-time professional programmer and project manager, and an equally long-time amateur game designer. On initially checking out Voxel Quest, I had some fairly pointed comments about it, to which Gavan provided such a thoughtful and friendly response that there was no way I could not contribute.

While all the pieces of VQ are interesting, I'm particularly interested in the AI and world dynamics, and in how they interact with each other and with the mechanical gameplay and aesthetics of the default world. Nice to be here! /wave
  • My original Hello post from the other thread:

Hi Everyone,

I've just wandered over from the Limit Theory forums where Gavan was doing an excellent job answering some questions we had.

About me? My name is Justin and I'm from Sydney, Australia. I've got a background in IT, but mostly on the tech support side of things. I'm an avid gamer (both tabletop and PC), and particularly enjoy explorer-type games. As such, the possibilities of procedural technology are really appealing to me. I'm not a huge fan of roguelikes, but the "casual mode" Gavan has mentioned that plays more like a traditional CRPG sounds right up my alley.

Um, I guess that's about it. Oh, and I'm a Kickstarter backer of Voxel Quest.

Cheers,
    - J

*waves*
  • edited October 2014
    Ok, I'll put a little bit better of an intro in here. Or at least help cure your insomnia...

My name is Gavan Woolery, on twitter @gavanw. I was born in Napa, CA (1981) and I have lived all up and down the coast of California: Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, Anaheim, and San Diego (where I currently live).

I grew up on PCs (Commodore 64, 386, 486, Pentium, etc), although via friends I also got to play Atari, Sega Master System, NES, Genesis, SNES, etc, and lived about 30-40 minutes from a miniature golf course that had almost every arcade machine in existence during that era (including some really obscure ones). So, I was fortunate enough to experience the majority of systems from the mid 80's to the mid 90s. Our small town even had a BBS, so I got to see the rise of the first "indies" via Id, Apogee / 3D Realms, Epic Megagames, etc.

There was more of a sense of wonder back then - maybe it was because I was young, maybe it was because games left more to the imagination, or maybe it was because progression has us at a point where everything is so advanced it looks the same. Anyhow, hoping to restore a bit of wonder into the world. :)

I started learning art/animation in Deluxe Paint and Animation when I was maybe 7, then 3D modeling when I was 13, and programming around that time as well (QBASIC) - I also picked up this infamous book at age 11 (iirc), from which I failed to learn c++ (lol).

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Game-Programming-Cd-Rom/dp/0672305623

I worked several odd jobs in highschool/college including shoe store clerk, gardener, lab monitor, then tried to freelance doing web/logo design. Due to stress, working side jobs, poor decisions, etc I got bad grades two quarters in a row and I was disqualified from engineering at UCSB; the dean said that computer science was probably not for me ( he was right, of course ;) ). I transferred and graduated with a BS in Computer Science from CSU Channel Islands (although was never hired on the basis of having a degree). In my last two years of college, I worked on a MMORPG (yeah, I know...) called Genesis which was well received but became vaporware when I had to get a job that actually paid money (hehe). I applied to the Navy to become a NTO (person who operates the nuclear reactor aboard a submarine or aircraft carrier, which has a five year contract in addition to several years of training). At the same time, I was visiting my twin brother in San Diego and was offered a job at his workplace, a startup called Goowy Media (which was funded by Mark Cuban!). Both applications were accepted, and I was on the threshold of two completely different life paths. I'm glad I went with the startup. :) Startup was acquired by AOL but I was just an employee so did not walk with much, but enough for it to be worth the doubletime I had to work. After that I thrashed around between a million projects and startup ideas while doing more contract work.

I kept coming back to the ideas of my original game, Genesis, although refining it to be a bit smarter (i.e. dropping the MMORPG aspect). This was the one project idea that did not feel like trying to make a quick buck, but rather something I was interested in. Getting frustrated with contract work and working doubletime, I asked reddit for ideas of ways I could work full time on the game. To my surprise, my investor (known as "Pain" here) stepped forward and we worked out a deal (for those who don't know, he is just a normal guy, developer, and gamer - not a mega-wealthy VC :) ). The rest, as they say, is history. :)

I now live with my wife, child, and two dogs in San Diego. My mistress is my computer, though.
  • Hello Community!

Finally i hit the floor here for VQ and will introduce myself for a bit. An old guy (next year i hit my 40 *sigh*), born and raised in Germany.

I moved to Switzerland over 10 years ago. I meet Pain on a LAN later. The rest is history .. *g* I´m living with my wifey in the Lake Constance area now.

First contact with gaming on an Atari 2600, hooked since them. Later the next passions in music, art (street / concept), IT - nothing special. Hobby kinda Webdesign with klickybunti Wordpress and other CMS.

Damn. I´ve to many interests. That´s all folks and thanks for all the fish!
  • Welcome, Spooky!!! Very glad to have you here. I don't think you'll find yourself "old" - we have a lot of better-seasoned folks around (though not all of them are on the forums).
    Spooky said:

That´s all folks and thanks for all the fish!

...yep, you'll fit in just fine. :)
  • Spooky said:

Hello Community!

Finally i hit the floor here for VQ and will introduce myself for a bit. An old guy (next year i hit my 40 *sigh*), born and raised in Germany.

I moved to Switzerland over 10 years ago. I meet Pain on a LAN later. The rest is history .. *g* I´m living with my wifey in the Lake Constance area now.

First contact with gaming on an Atari 2600, hooked since them. Later the next passions in music, art (street / concept), IT - nothing special. Hobby kinda Webdesign with klickybunti Wordpress and other CMS.

40 is not THAT old. (from one "old" timer to another, lets just say you and myself are pretty close in age)

• Thanks for the warm welcome. :)
  • edited November 2014
    Hello all. My name is Miro (twitter.com/mzadravec). I'm 33 yo software engineer from Croatia. I write business software for living and spend some of my free time on starting game projects that I never finish.
    I saw Voxel Quest on Hacker News and recognized my own efforts in what Gavan is trying to create, so I joined.
    I'm not actually here for voxels, really. What drew me to the project is emergent gameplay features and I want to watch from first row how far can Gavan make it.
  • Hey, Miro! Welcome! Hacker News has been absolutely instrumental in getting VQ's funding to where it is now - if it wasn't for the HN community, we might not have ever reached 30k. And, as most of the rest of us write some form of software here and there, I think you'll fit in just fine. Very glad to have you here. :)
  • Well, I guess it's time I joined the forums.

I'm 18, from Washington state. I'm still in "high school" but I'm in a program that lets me take classes at community college. In any case, I'm working towards graduating with an AS transfer degree for computer science, then moving on to this program at Digipen. I've already been accepted and they gave me a hefty scholarship for merit :D

I've been trying to learn OpenGL, but the workload at school has been pretty hard this quarter. I like to spend time reading about cool software stuff, though, which I guess I usually find on Hacker News. I first heard about VQ when it was posted on HN however many months ago. Congrats Gavan, this is a cool software stuff!

I haven't really settled into any communities like this before, but I'm hoping I'll fit in.

• @mmnumbp‌ You're interested in VQ, we're interested in VQ, no need to worry about fitting in :) Glad to have you here!
  • Agreed with Preacher. :) Let me settle your fears a little more.

- VQ's community is heavily focused on computer science.
    - You seem to be the intelligent, intellectual sort, and that sort of thing goes very well with everybody here - I encourage you to get yourself into as many intellectual debates on game design as you feel up to.
    - Age matters little on the Internet - it's only how mature you act that matters, and a first post like that sits well with us. Plus, our ages are widely scattered anyway.

Welcome to the forums!!! Very glad you're here, and I hope you enjoy your stay. :)
  • Another oldster here -- 56 as of this past month.

I've been in computers since the stone age it seems, and started teaching myself programming when teletypes and punched paper tapes were the height of technology.

Been programming for a long time. Professionally since about 1985. A variety of platforms and languages in the business world. I try to keep up with the technology curve which continues to move faster than I can absorb it..

So a bit of a relic, but still very interested in playing unique games which do not follow the pack. I'm happy to have supported this project, and look forward to continued updates as things move forward.
  • Welcome to the forums! Very glad to have you here, tnoyce. I personally think you're doing rather well with the technology curve, especially as you're on a forum for a game with cutting-edge tech. ;) More updates are definitely coming - Gavan plans on putting out weekly progress reports to keep the community updated. I hope you stick around! Enjoy your stay. :)
  • @tnoyce‌ It's nice to meet you! We're happy to have you here on the forums, and we look forward to your input on VQ. :) What programming languages are you familiar with?
  • edited November 2014
    Thanks for the warm welcome.. :)

@tnoyce‌ It's nice to meet you! We're happy to have you here on the forums, and we look forward to your input on VQ. :) What programming languages are you familiar with?

Primarily C#, but I also read and write code in C, C++, VB, scripting for several installers - NSIS, InnoSetup, InstallShield 5 (I know, that's old). Minor experience with XML/HTML.
    Also MS-SQL and database design. Mainly desktop and small client-server type applications.
  • Spooky said:

Hello Community!

Off topic, I know.. But couldn't resist..
    You by chance a Hitchhiker's Guide fan?
    Also, 40 isn't that old... I know it sometimes feels that way though.
  • I'm a lifelong gaming enthusiast who likes to analyze systems for fun. I got into programming simple QBASIC games in junior high school, loved it, and focused on software development as a career. Then, I discovered that I can't abide the systemic problems that result from trying to apply capitalism to software development and had to withdraw from the industry. I tend to complain a lot, but I mean those complaints in the most helpful, considerate way possible.

I'm very excited about this project and very happy that gavanw is going the open source route. My thanks to everyone who supported the kickstarter campaign.
  • tnoyce said:

Primarily C#, but I also read and write code in C, C++, VB, scripting for several installers - NSIS, InnoSetup, InstallShield 5 (I know, that's old). Minor experience with XML/HTML.
    Also MS-SQL and database design. Mainly desktop and small client-server type applications.

So you're pretty well equipped to mess with the VQ source, haha. Do you have any interest in modding?