Tools for making games and mods with Voxel Quest

Hey,

Got a few questions regarding the tools that will be used for modding/games development with Voxel Quest.

I personally think that tools like the Seed of Andromeda biome editor should be looked at for rapid biome creation. Link

Will there be an animation toolset for voxels? I know that Voxelnauts has an animation editor for voxels and is aimed at general use. Maybe that could be used if it is released publicly?

What tools will be made available to game developers and modders that will allow us to make content (Levels, Characters, Items, etc.) for Voxel quest and our own games?

I know that this is early to talk about but it is worth thinking about. Espeically for those non technically inclined.

Thanks for your time,
HeadClot

Comments

• Gavan isn't going to be putting much work into making it easily moddable for laymen. He's got a game to make, after all, and crafting/polishing these types of editors takes a lot of time - time he wouldn't necessarily get back. However, he will be releasing the source code, and if we have a modding community of any appreciable size (which I'm sure we will), then it's highly likely someone will come along and create different editors for everything. The source code will make that a lot easier. :smile:

A level creator was actually always part of the plan, as was a character creator. Right now there aren't either voxel animations or biomes, but this is likely to change later on.
  • A little addition to what @Talvieno has said: while I doubt that there will be an easy editor for content, Gavan has stated in the past that he plans on going through all of the engine code and making sure that everything is neat and tidy for source modification. The engine won't be some jumbling mess that the community has to decipher -- modding the source should be pretty straightforward. If you're interested, I could point you to some good C++/OpenGL resources to get you started.

For the "non-technically inclined", Gavan has mentioned in the past that a lot of modification will be possible in the VQ RPG by editing JSON files of rules, item names and properties, world properties, etc. While that may not offer a way to change the game majorly, it will allow a lot of customization without a lot of actual code modification.

For some of Gavan's words on the topic, see this post.
  • Yep, as stated, early on I can't focus too much on the editor side. However, you will be able to make custom building pieces relatively easily (by specifying geometry type and dimensions). You can also make many things via modifying the GLSL (which can be hot-loaded) as well as many of the data files (JSON, also hot-loadable). I'm not sure what the final format will be for characters, items, etc - that remains to be seen. It might ultimately be bitmap sprites, in which case the only editor you need is a paint program.
  • I guess I should chime in on this -

Basically all I want to do with the VQ engine is make an multiplayer first person game similar of that to Rapid Assault by Cornered Rat Software.

Minus the polygon models and stuff.

I am currently working on the voxel art as we speak. Vehicles, Weapons, Soldiers, etc.

So yeah - I would need some form of Level editor. Lastly regarding Voxel animation tools I know that Voxelnauts is planning on making their own tools available in some capacity for other devs.

I would not mind striking a deal you @gavanw when the source code is made available in exchange for support for the engine as well as licensing.

More on that when get there,

HeadClot
  • Sounds good, I will evaluate all deals that come my way, although hopefully I will sort it into a set of possible licensing packages in the future. And in the far future, if/when the game has done well, I'd like to find a way to get it into peoples hands for free (MIT, ZLIB, or CC license or similar -- and if it bombs, it will still eventually be made free, so its a win-win either way). :)
    HeadClot said:

I guess I should chime in on this -

Basically all I want to do with the VQ engine is make an multiplayer first person game similar of that to Rapid Assault by Cornered Rat Software.

Minus the polygon models and stuff.

I am currently working on the voxel art as we speak. Vehicles, Weapons, Soldiers, etc.

So yeah - I would need some form of Level editor. Lastly regarding Voxel animation tools I know that Voxelnauts is planning on making their own tools available in some capacity for other devs.

I would not mind striking a deal you @gavanw when the source code is made available in exchange for support for the engine as well as licensing.

More on that when get there,

HeadClot