Update 02.04.2015

edited February 2015 in Weekly Updates
See update here (with better links):
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavan/voxel-quest/posts/1126487

Hi everyone!

As mentioned prior, I traveled to see family 3 weeks ago, and last week did not run an update but I did stream. So since the last video, changes include:

- Ability to create arbitrarily sized objects and efficiently rotate them about any axis without orientation side-effects like Gimbal lock.
- Object to object collision, even pushing series of objects.
- Objects fall or otherwise react when voxels below them are added or removed.
- Ability to treat any object or NPC as a series of nested containers.
- Ability to drill down into nested containers, place objects in and out of containers which are rendered in the world, and rearrange objects within containers.
- Several small bug fixes and some minor refactoring.

I was loaned a pair of CastAR glasses from backer @karmacappa, and the CastAR team seems excited for Voxel Quest on CastAR. I will look into implementing some CastAR support this week.

Gabe Castro's music for Voxel Quest can be found below, and his other music can be found here.

Also please check out Moonman by @eigenbom, if you fancy roguelike/Terraria-ish games :) Only one week left!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eigenbom/moonman

Comments

• No comments yet? this is fascinating! Thanks for the update.
  • Thanks! Its not that interesting IMO but sometimes you have to take care of boring stuff to get to the interesting tasks. :) I think when I get into characters more (which is likely this week) it will become more interesting.
  • I'm guilty of neglecting to keep up with VQ in the last weeks (I say without shame :smile: ), but I'm glad I chanced to drop in and see this update.
    Good stuff, much less boring and ramble-ish than a few of your older uploads, hehe.
  • I'm guilty of neglecting to keep up with VQ in the last weeks (I say without shame :smile: ), but I'm glad I chanced to drop in and see this update.
    Good stuff, much less boring and ramble-ish than a few of your older uploads, hehe.

I have to admit to not being around too. But I am glad I am back and just as pumped as ever for the game :smile:

• It's been about a month since the last update (unless my computer won't show them to me for some reason). When can we expect the next official update?
  • PTTG said:

It's been about a month since the last update (unless my computer won't show them to me for some reason). When can we expect the next official update?

Sorry for the long gap in updates, it just has not been that interesting (I may have mentioned this elsewhere). Past month was spent working on AI, which up until this point was just text input and output in the console. For the most part there was little to update on other than "I'm writing some complex AI, hang in there." The core functionality of the AI is finished, although I am sure it will have many improvements/additions down the road. I am putting out an update this week. I also went to GDC last week by the suggestion of a few people, although I probably won't attend another convention again unless I can find a really convincing reason to. Even though my trip was "free" (all costs, save gas, were covered for me, and I stayed at a friend's house), I could not find much benefit in it other than meeting some people, which happened mostly off the convention floor.

Anyhow, I'm really happy with how the AI is turning out so far, and excited to show it this week.